Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

What age for first trike?

Has anyone here bought their LO's a tricycle yet?  I want to buy DS a ride-on for scooting around outside.  However, he's so extremely tall for his age (100th percentile and off the charts), that most of the ride-ons for 1 year-olds are too small for him.

What age is appropriate for introducing a tricycle? 

DS 11.24.11
MMC 3.30.16

Re: What age for first trike?

• Options
    We got one for DD2 at 18 months for Christmas. She's just starting to learn to ride it at 3 years.

Fwiw, she loves the ride on toys we have still, even though she's really too big for them. My 7 yo still will scoot around on those baby toys.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options
    Good question. I gave our Pediatrician a giant side eye when he asked me if she knew how to ride a tricycle at her 21 month well visit. I had not even though about tricycles :|:| I was going to get one for her Bday, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We just got him one for his 2nd birthday. He loves it, but the push handle attachment has been very useful. He does put his feet on the pedals sometimes, but he hasn't pedaled himself yet - he either puts his feet on the ground and pushes, or we push him using the handle. FWIW, he still likes his little car ride-on toy, and zooms around the house on it. 

Lilypie - (8zJg)Lilypie - (Eu83)
  • Options
    DD got hers on her second birthday.  She didn't know how to ride it completely by herself until closer to 2 1/2 though.  DS is 18 months and he loves "riding" the trike now but he only straddles the seat and walks it around. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was glancing at the 3 year old milestone chart just yesterday and one of them was 'can pedal a tricycle'. DD has had one since Christmas but has just recently got good at riding it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We bought one for DS for his 2nd birthday, but even on the lowest setting, he couldn't reach the peddles. He also didn't know what to do even when we tried to teach him. He eventually got around to just straddling and using his legs to "peddle." 

It wasn't until late spring (so, really, only a couple months ago) that he showed a lot of interest in it, and it has only been a couple of weeks that he has actually peddled. I went for a long walk with him and LO. He said he wanted to bring his bike along and ride. I thought he wouldn't last, but he rode it for 45 minutes.

I think it depends on the kid, though. IMO, I don't think they are worth much until 2 1/2 or so. It's an awkward stage because, like you said, the ride ons for the younger toddlers are too small. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DS is extremely tall.  All the tricycles were so small it looked like his knees were around his ears riding.   We skipped the trike and went right to a 2 wheeler with training wheels just after his 2nd birthday.  By 2 1/2 he was riding it very well.
    Formerly Jaxmom1 - now Jaxmom11 because of a bump fart!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"