Babies on the Brain

Going off the pill

Hi all,

My husband and I are thinking about TTC within the next year. I have been on the birth control pill for almost 10 years. Does anyone have any advice or experience on how quickly you can become pregnant after going off the pill or how long it will take for your cycle to regulate?

Thanks! :) 

Re: Going off the pill

• Took my last BC pill in May...pregnant in June.
  • BG09BG09 member

I am going to start TTC in August, and my doctor told me to stop BC 2 months prior.  My last pill was June 15th.  Wish me luck! ;)

BabyFetus Ticker
    BabyFruit Tickerimage

• Loading the player...
  • imagegreengirl0909:
    Took my last BC pill in May...pregnant in June.

That's lovely and all, but that doesn't happen to everyone. Usually it takes awhile for your body to adjust to the hormone changes of coming off BC. 

You have a 20% chance of getting pregnant every month. And things like tracking and temping will be your friend. Check out fertility friend's website, talk to the ladies on TTGP, read that newbie link. Educating yourself is the best thing you can do.

It can take a healthy couple a year to get knocked up, so don't expect it to happen right away. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Lurking here- 

I just had a baby in April. Had been on the pill for 7 years... It only takes 24 hours for your body to get rid of the BC hormone... Then it's just your body getting back to normal. If you were pretty regular before then it shouldn't take but a couple of months permitting everything is in working order... I would suggest downloading a n ovulation app... That was the easiest for me. I downloaded one called 'my days' - just mark the day you start your period then it will tell you the days you are ovulating. It's not as scientific as the basal temp but pretty easy to try at first!

Good luck- its an awesome experience :) 

• C0602tC0602t member
    Everyone is different. I was also on the pill on and off for 10 years and my doctor told me to stop the pill when I wanted to get pregnant and there was no "wash out" waiting period... I wasn't so sure I believed her so I went off in March with the intentions of trying in August. We used the pull out method lol My first period post pill was on time, no return of acne, ok cramps... Then my second period was a week late, acne galore which is STILL here and the cramps were the worst pain I've ever felt in my LIFE! This is my 3rd cycle off the pill and we actually decided to start trying so FX! Good luck to you!
  • Thank you everyone for all the advice! We definitly don't want to be pregnant for another year or so, but I was reading so many stories and getting worried it would take long! Good luck to everyone TTC!
  • I an hoping that next Tuesday I can find out what's going on with my cycle. I have been on bc for 10 years as well I am on cd7. I am going to do a OPK starting day 11 and hope for a smily face sometime next week! Good luck to you!
  • I'm thinking of making an appt with my doctor also. I'm wondering if I should stop now also and use other methods! Just don't want to be pregnant for another year, so worried to stop taking the pill!! I also don't want to wait a year to go off then it take another year to get pregnant! ughh.. what to do! Hope everything works out for you!
  • My OB said to be off the pill for at least 3 months and to switch to prenatal vitamins. I was pretty lucky and went off in Dec 2012 and conceived Jan 2013. Good luck yo yuu when you do begin TTC. Also, as far ad temping and charting and all that. I couldn't get a handle on it. I honesty left it up to God to decide. You can go to any Catholic Church and they can give you info on the charting.
    photo 978af5ba-08bb-4481-86d8-3ab82265c5c3_zpsc80d6cf2.jpg div align="center">photo f1bdfba8-890a-4221-be22-61d4a9f99eee_zps89ebc57e.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Your cycle "should" go back to normal right after you stop bc.  I've known some people to get pregnant right away. I on the other hand did not. I would recommend charting and temping off right away and become very familiar with your body. GL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"