Food & Nutrition

Talk to me about Egg Whites

So i am trying to eat better and eat about two hard boiled Egg Whites only a day. I was thinking about buying the egg white liquid in cartons. But not sure how healthy those are and if they are the same thing?

Any ideas?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage

Re: Talk to me about Egg Whites

• They're the same (assuming you get the ones labeled as such), but they are definitely more expensive than separating your own eggs.
  • It's way less expensive in the long haul to buy your own eggs and just become a champion egg separator. My DH and I got through mass quantities of egg whites when I'm not pregnant (my diet has changed a bit so I eat fewer egg whites and a much larger variety of foods). Once you get into the habit of buying and doing your own, it will be just as easy as pouring from the carton!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • mgm84mgm84 member
    If you are trying to be healthy, you are better off skipping eggs altogether.  If you are eating them for the protein, you (and the environment and chickens) are better off getting it from a plant source.  Then you won't have to worry about buying the kind you have to separate or the kind with extra chemicals.

Lilypie - (eoyh)

• I eat free range, fresh off the farm eggs regularly. They are actually very good for you, a great source of protein, vitamins a iron! I think most of the good stuff is actually in the yolk. 

I am a strong animal rights person, but I think the chickens are laying the eggs anyway, I may as well eat them. Factory farming etc is totally different and cruel, but if you know the chickens and they are well taken care of and happy, what is the harm? I plan on getting some of my own chickens as soon as we buy a house!

ps. I would never buy a carton of egg whites, what a waste! 

• RseedRseed member

I eat egg whites quite often, and this is how I prep them super fast:

Buy eggs in the carton (I shop at Costco so I get a lot!). Throw 8 in a pot of water, turn heat to high and let boil for 12 minutes. Drain water, cover pot with hand and shake side to side until all egg shells are cracked all over. (This is a great tip my Dad taught me - because when you pull up a piece of shell the whole thing comes off!)

Place two eggs per Ziplock bag, throw in fridge... And when you want to eat it, just pull egg whites apart and remove the solid yolk! So easy, transportable, and fast.  

• My husband and I use powdered egg whites to boost the protein in our yogurt shakes. It works quite well. We just have to make sure that we mix the egg powder in quickly so it doesn't form clumps.

***siggy warning***

Me: 29; DH: 53
    TTC since February 2013 --- mild thin PCOS (or not, depending on which RE you ask), MFI

TI#1: BFN (April 2014; Clomid 50mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Clomid 50 mg x4 days)
    IUI#1: c/p (May 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x10 days)
    IUI#2: abandoned... O'd early & DH hormone issues (June 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x2 days)
    IUI#2.1: BFN (July 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x4 days)

Moving on to IVF. (Why we're moving on to IVF)

IVF#1 (w/ICSI): BCP 9/9-9/23. Gonal-F, Ganirelix, Low-dose HCG (antagonist protocol). 41R/35M/32F... 2 transferred on 10/14, 14 frosties! On cabergoline to help avoid OHSS. BFN, possibly because of 90% drop in estrogen and progesterone a few days after ET.
    FET#1: Transferring 2 on January 8. BFP! beta#1 (1/17): 408, beta#2 (1/20): 1310, first u/s scheduled 2/5

image    image
  • The yolk is the best part. I buy farm fresh (pastured) eggs and love them!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"