Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Help! Need a trick!

Anyone have a good trick to giving babies meds?  My LO is 7 months and on multiple meds.  I've tried squirting it in the cheek, putting it in a nipple, in her bottle, etc.  No matter what I try she just holds it in her mouth and eventually spits it out.  I'm at my quits end.  HELP!!

Re: Help! Need a trick!

• What always worked for me when LO was younger was back of the cheek and then blow in their face. For some reason, it makes them wince/swallow.
    Married November 2009 ~ Sam is here! (12/26/12)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Dd takes meds daily. I put about .5 ml at a time in the back of her cheek quickly. Smile, talk, sing, make faces, blowing sometimes works. She gets a 2.5 ml dose so it takes five squirts. When we are done I clap and say excitedly "All done!"

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • We give DD medication three times a day for her hemangioma. We split the dosage in half, and give her a little at a time (and then give her the other half). She's really gotten used to it and sometimes even wants to have it! She used to hate it and spit it out. It was awful. Good luck, I know it's not fun.
  • There are different types of medication dispensers.  I've seen pacifier types. I wonder if anything like that would work. How about putting the meds in a small bottle of formula/breastmilk?  We have done that with my son's meds and he drinks it with no problem. 
  • imageLitgirl77:
    What always worked for me when LO was younger was back of the cheek and then blow in their face. For some reason, it makes them wince/swallow.

A little at a time and gentle blow in their face until they swallow between each bit you give them. We have had to give LO meds since 8 weeks and this always works for us. It is also how the pedi gives liquid medication.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageLitgirl77:
    What always worked for me when LO was younger was back of the cheek and then blow in their face. For some reason, it makes them wince/swallow.

I 3rd this. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageChristyML:

imageLitgirl77:

I 3rd this. 

This. And, I also agree with the small amounts at a time. Stick with it, soon enough LO will get used to it. It's all about parental stick-with-it-ness, I've seen lots of babies take tons of gross meds with no fuss because mom and dad just made it a part of the daily routine - nothing special, just what needs to happen.

Good luck! 

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm an ER nurse, some meds I give LOs are plain nasty. I put it in as small a syringe as it fits (or do a couple if its a high volume) and put it along the cheek to the back of their gums and squeeze slowly. So far back they aren't as likely to taste it, and if you do it slow enough they swallow with saliva and aren't able to just spit it out.
  • I have the pasifer that you put the medicine in. Its the only way my son will takr meds by mouth. You can get them at Walmart. Its made by safety first and it comes a passy that takes their temp and the medicine passy
    Works wonders!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"