Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Normal after D&C

I had my D&C last Tuesday.  I have had no bleeding at all since the day of surgery.  I have been doing some walks, but needed to get the blessing from my doctor to start running again.  I called the doc this morning  and told her I had no bleeding, barely any cramps and I felt great and asked if I could run easy and she said yes.  I was so excited and now I just went to the bathroom and I'm spotting red blood.  It's not a lot, but why would I be spotting 1 week later?  I did walk today at lunch on an incline, but I've been walking the past few days.  I don't think I should be running if I'm bleeding, but was just wondering if its normal?  Thanks!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Normal after D&C

• Options

Hmmm, I wonder if it's because of the increased activity with your run.  I didn't have any bleeding the day after my D&C but when i returned to work on the following day, Friday, i had some light spotting.  When the nurse called for her regular post-D&C check up I asked her if this was normal and she said yes because of my increased activity on Friday.  I notice when I rest and take it easy, that my spotting reduces, but when I'm up and moving around and being more active, it increases slightly.  Sunday, we moved a bunch of furniture and boxes from our garage into the house, and I bled for about an hour after, but then it tapered off again.  I hope this helps.  And, I hope you enjoyed your run :) I run as well, and am itching to get back to it..

Began trying for a baby January 2012
    BFP 4.25.2013  EDD 1.3.2014  MMC 6.3.2013  D&C 6.19.2013
    BFP 11.3.2013  CP 11.6.2013
    BFP 3.31.2014 EDD 12.10.2014 Baby boy Carlson born 12.19.2014 
  • Options
    imagecarlsonbaby2014:

Hmmm, I wonder if it's because of the increased activity with your run.  I didn't have any bleeding the day after my D&C but when i returned to work on the following day, Friday, i had some light spotting.  When the nurse called for her regular post-D&C check up I asked her if this was normal and she said yes because of my increased activity on Friday.  I notice when I rest and take it easy, that my spotting reduces, but when I'm up and moving around and being more active, it increases slightly.  Sunday, we moved a bunch of furniture and boxes from our garage into the house, and I bled for about an hour after, but then it tapered off again.  I hope this helps.  And, I hope you enjoyed your run :) I run as well, and am itching to get back to it..

I didn't actually get out to run yet, and I am not comfortable doing so I'f I'm bleeding at all.  Did your doc say anything about running?  I walked on the treadmill at lunch today on an incline so I'm thinking that could of caused it possibly.  I'm not worried about it - I really just want to run even just a mile! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Oh, sorry, I mis-read your post.  I haven't asked about running specifically, but I do have my appointment tomorrow and was planning to ask about when I can resume normal physical activity.  I think it'll be an important part in helping me get back to feeling somewhat normal, but definitely will heed my doctors advice and if she says to wait for the spotting to completely go away, that's what I'll do.  I'll let you know what she tells me.  I hope the spotting subsides and you're able to run soon!

• Options
    imagecarlsonbaby2014:

Oh, sorry, I mis-read your post.  I haven't asked about running specifically, but I do have my appointment tomorrow and was planning to ask about when I can resume normal physical activity.  I think it'll be an important part in helping me get back to feeling somewhat normal, but definitely will heed my doctors advice and if she says to wait for the spotting to completely go away, that's what I'll do.  I'll let you know what she tells me.  I hope the spotting subsides and you're able to run soon!

Thanks!  Let me know what they say - good luck with the appointment! 

• Options
    I too wanted to get back to "normal" so I did a light spin about a week after my DnC and started to red spot and then it went away with rest.  I called and the dr. Just said it was do to too much activity.  And that we didn't want red spotting and to take it easy. 
    BFP #1 April 28, 2009 - miscarriage 5/17/2009
    BFP #2 March 21, 2010 CP 3/28/2010
    BFP # 3 August 1, 2010 baby boy April 7, 2011
    BFP #4 February 9, 2013 missed miscarriage @ 15 weeks on May 1st , 2013.
    fingers crossed BFP #5 10/03/2013 due June 10, 2014. Unplanned C-Section on May 29, 2014. Welcome Grant!
  • Options

I had very little bleeding the first couple days after mine. Mine started up and then came and went for 2 weeks. 

Never had any pain and was cleared for normal life after 1 week. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Mirena removed 11/10/11. BFP 02/20/13 - MMC discovered 4/17/13 @ 11w4d. 
    BFP 12/14/13, EDD 8/21/14.It's a BOY! DS born 8/15/14.

• Options
    I felt fine after my D&C with light spotting and I ran the next evening.  Travelling did not permit me to workout/run the following two days but I picked back up with a normal exercise routine thereafter.  I had light spotting for 3-4 days after the D&C, then it stopped for a day or 2, but picked back up after that (after intercourse) with heavier bleeding for 5ish days.  (Heavier, but still not really heavy).  My doctor and midwife both said bleeding is normal and expected and as long as I feel fine, I can continue normal activities, so that's what I did. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image  image
    BFP 5/08/13 -- EDD 1/15/14 -- slow hb@7wks d&c 6/07/13
    BFP 8/12/13 -- EDD 4/20/14 -- no fetal pole @7wksnatural m/c 9/16/13, cytotec 10/17 & 10/22
    BFP 11/26/13 -- EDD 8/07/14 -- Born 7/24/14!
  • Options

Thanks - its nice to hear others' experiences.  I'm positive that me walking on the incline on the treadmill yesterday did it because I'm not spotting at all today.  I'm very eager to get back into running, but I don't want to slow down my recovery time either. 

• Options
    Okay, I just got back from my appointment and it went surprisingly well!  My Doctor said that spotting is totally normal and I should expect to spot on and off for up to two weeks post-D&C.  Of course, she mentioned, every woman is different, but that she wasn't concerned about my spotting.  I asked her, specifically, about resuming normal activities like running, and zumba, and she said to go for it!  She said that as long as I kind of ramp it up, and listen to my body along the way, rest when I need to, etc. that I should feel comfortable to go ahead and start being more active ("pelvic activity" aka sex, aside, of course, since the 2 week rule still applies there).  Also, I know there are so many varrying responses that we've seen from others on this board about when to start trying again, and after our conversation today she said she'd recommend waiting one cycle, and that if my husband and I feel emotionally ready, that we should start trying again after 1.  She mentioned that with the drop in the beta hormones, though, that most women get their first period about 6-8 weeks after mc because our normal cycle time will start at day 1 when the betas are low again which takes some time, so not to be too concerned if it doesn't come when it used to during the month, or 4-6 weeks after the D&C, like I was expecting it to. I hope this info is helpful!
  • Options

Thanks carlson!! Glad you got the go ahead to try again soon.  Have you thought about that yet?  

On surgery day, my doc told me to wait 3 months so I hope she changes her turn after my 2 week post op.  That would be the best birthday present (my appt is 2 days after my birthday).   

• Options

Yes, both my husband and I have said we are ready to try again as soon as we get the green light.  So, my next check-mark indicator will be when my period comes.  I never thought I'd say this but I am excited for that day :).  What about you?  I hope your doctor gives you the go-ahead sooner, too!!  This is just my observation, but it seems like they (the Doctors) may veer on the side of extreme caution at first in terms of how long to wait, but if recovery is going well and there aren't any major complications that they say to try sooner than they had originally said.  But that's totally just my general observation and it seems everyone's doctor recommends something different.  Here's to wishing you an early happy birthday, and some good news at your post-op appointment!  ((hugs!!!))

• Options
    I'm with you and ready to try again!  I know it's going to be different for everyone and I am definitely going to follow my doctor's orders, but I really hope she says all is well and I can go ahead, then I hope AF comes back within a reasonable amount of time!  Lots of hoping here! :)  Good luck and I hope to catch you over on 1st tri or even a month board soon-ish!  

• Options

imageKinipela7:
    I'm with you and ready to try again!  I know it's going to be different for everyone and I am definitely going to follow my doctor's orders, but I really hope she says all is well and I can go ahead, then I hope AF comes back within a reasonable amount of time!  Lots of hoping here! :)  Good luck and I hope to catch you over on 1st tri or even a month board soon-ish!  

You too!!!  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"