Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Day 5 of diarrhea

Hello there. I'm new to this board so I'll do a quick intro before my question. I'm 25, a 2nd time mom and have been married 7 years come this August to my hubby. Together we have a wonderful DS who's 3. We're currently expecting our daughter in early November and I'm currently a stay at home mom. We recently moved from Oregon to northeast Washington too! Nice to meet you all!
I apologize in advance if this questions been asked recently, I skimmed through 3 pages of posts on my phone to see.
My son caught this bug Wednesday and has had diarrhea since Thursday morning. He doesn't have a fever or vomiting but every time he goes no.2 its explosive and runny. I've tried pedialyte but can't disguise it enough for him to drink it, he eats some foods but his appetite is severely smaller and he's drinking a lot of water. I've kept diaper creams and powders on him as well as keeping his rash clean and dry.
Do you ladies have any other suggestions that may help? I called the Dr and without a fever or vomiting they won't see him or do anything for him.

Re: Day 5 of diarrhea

• Options
    DS1 has had the stomach flu 3 times in the last 6 months. It's no fun! I will say be careful because one of the times was when I was 37 weeks pregnant and I caught it and it was not a good time. Other than keeping him hydrated see if your pediatrician will let you give him the kids pepto bismol chewables. I didn't have them the first two times, but the third time they seemed to help. Hope he feels better soon!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That went through our house but we also had vomiting on top of diarrhea for 5 days. Try to keep LO as hydrated as possible pedialyte makes popsicles, gaterade is another option that was suggested by the doctor since DD will not drink pedialyte either. She also said as long as she was not showing signs of dehydration not to worry as long as she was attempting to drink something.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Gatorade, Popsicles, jello, kids culturelle and you could try a BRAT diet consisting of bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. Also, cut back on dairy products. GL!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    D&HMomD&HMom member

BRAT for sure, clear fluids and cut out all dairy.  I was told by my pedi that diarrhea can hang on for a long time in small children and that its really more of a laundry problem than anything else. Change him as quickly as you can and keep the rash covered. 

As long as he is not showing sign of dehydration it should just run its course. If he starts look dehydrated take him to ER don't not let the docs say they won't see him.

hope he feels better soon

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    AZ123AZ123 member
    Florastor will clear up any diarrhea within a day and put things back to normal. It comes in powder form and you put it in a cup of milk.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"