C-sections

Tubal with your section?

I am considering getting a tubal done at the same time as my section in August.  We are done having children and I am not able to take the pill due to high stroke risk.  Has anyone had a tubal done at the same time as their section?  Did you have any long term side effects like heavier periods and more mood swings?  Did your doctor try to get you to try another method of birth control?

Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks! 

Re: Tubal with your section?

• +ASH++ASH+ member
    I had one when DD was born and noticed nothing different. I actually got up and walked a lot a few ours later and it was my easiest c/s recovery. I'm bf'ing, so haven't noticed a difference in my period since it's not back yet, but mine were always heavy, so it couldn't possibly be worse. 
    DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • My OB actually started the conversation during the consult as I was seeing him for the first time, but I would have if he hadn't. I knew I was going to be done. So yes, I went with the tubal. He asked me at every other visit or so and then when I was literally open on the table. He told me from the beginning that if he sensed any hesitation whatsoever he wasn't going to do it. He also used 2 clips to be extra sure b/c he said he had 2 or 3 failures with just one clip.

As far as difference in my cycle at all, no not really. I EBF both babies and with my DS1 my period came back at 4mo and with DS2, 2mo. With the second, just like my first, the first few months were pretty rough. Heavy flow, bad cramps, bad headaches. But as the months have gone by the flow has gotten lighter, but last month I had cramps that woke me in the middle of the night. OMG I thought I was going to die!!! They hurt right along where my scar is so I'm assuming I have some pretty wicked scar tissue in there. But I also could feel it in there after my first c/s so I wasn't shocked. My mom recommended ibuprophen the day before I should get my period b/c she said that it has something to do with the hormone receptors...? She's a nurse so I generally go with what she says.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm interested to hear the responses to this. I had a tubal a month ago during my csection after I had tried to VBAC and began having bad abdominal pain. Turned out, I had a uterine dehiscence and the OB really pushed a tubal. I wish I had stuck with my guns and firmly said no because now I regret it. She didn't offer any other types of birth control. I'm hoping I don't experience any bad side effects from having it done.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• aandgaandg member
    I had one after DD was born. I had much heavier periods for a little over a year PP. They are getting better, but still a bit heavier than pre-pregnancies/tubal. My dr didn't try to talk me into any other form of birth control.
    BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had one after second C-section.  Originally, DH was going to get a vasectomy, but I figured if I was already open, it was easier for me.  If I had to do it again, I'd make DH get the snip.  I am exclusively breastfeeding, as I did with the first one.  I got my period back at four months, and they have been awful!  Serious back pain, no regularity, including two coming 16 days apart.  And heavy!  I did not know that a super plus tampon existed, now I go through them quickly.  I hate it hate it!

Is DH willing to get a vasectomy? 

• Just got one with my recent RCS.  This recovery has been better than the first and minimal bleeding.  So far I do not notice short term effects.  Long term will have to be determined later!  I was told the heavier periods are due to the fact most women are on some type of birth control which naturally lightens their periods.  So the fact they are no longer using that method, their periods become natural again and thus may appear heavier or longer.  I haven't used birth control in years and my periods have always been the same (6 days with only 2 being heavy).  So we shall see!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"