June 2012 Moms
Options

Weaning off the bottle?

I really wanted Anja off the bottle by 12 months. I have a series of young family members who were kept on the bottle for too long, and because of it, they have had some consequences. Most serious, my young cousin had to have all his baby teeth capped at a very young age. He looked pretty funny and was teased endlessly as he got older.

Up until, well, yesterday, she has been getting 3 bottles during the day, and one smaller bottle when she wakes up during the night. She is STILL consistently waking up and wanting to be fed. I've gone from 6 to 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 oz of milk. I've tried then switching her over to water in a bottle to water in a sippy, and this is where I got stuck. She went from taking the water in the bottle, however when I tried to give her water in the sippy, she was extremely unhappy. She cries and threw a huge fit until I finally gave in and gave her milk in a bottle. She wouldn't even take water in a bottle. Needless to say, I feel like we had regressed.

So yesterday, I try and get her off the bottle cold turkey. It was the weekend, so I was able to go places with her and keep her mind off the bottle. She put up a small fuss when I gave her her first sippy of milk before her nap, but she ultimately gave in. I gave her a second sippy of milk during a meal. She didn't drink all of it, but she did ok. And then the final sippy for the day was a huge bust. I ended up caving and giving her the bottle.

Today is Monday. I sit for another child just a bit older than Anja. She still is on the bottle, and they are used to being fed at the same time. I've tried replacing Anja's bottle with a sippy, but she loses her mind when she sees the other girl's bottle. I'm going to try and be consistent today. I'm just lost as to what I should do. If she flat out refuses the sippy, should I give her the bottle because I don't want her to be without her milk?

I have her one year appointment on Wednesday, and it's definitely on the list of Qs. Until then, I'm not sure if I should leave it alone or not...

Sorry, this is so long!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Weaning off the bottle?

• Options
    we just started weaning LO off the bottle this weekend as well. or i guess you can say we did it "cold turkey." he definitely has been a little more fussy before nap times but I just keep pushing the sippy cup of milk. he has not been drinking near as much milk as he should be, but i am not going to worry about it yet. 

good luck with her seeing another bottle... he accidentally saw one last night sitting on the counter and freaked out. ugh. i just put it away quickly and distracted. 

and i definitely caved this morning at 5 when he woke up crying. i couldn't get downstairs fast enough to make a bottle and put him (and me) back to sleep. now that is a habit i really need to stop. :)
  • Options

Could you talk to the other girl's parents and ask if you can try just giving her sippy's too?  

DD dropped her bottles much easier than DS did and I think part of it was "peer pressure" seeing other kids her age-ish using sippys.  

image   image

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I was very adamant about getting Kara off the bottle ASAP, since my older daughter was 18 months before I got her off of it.  So, I bought 1 of these Nuk learner cups (see link below) and a matching 10oz one (since she takes 8oz bottles) - I slowly introduced her to the 10oz one w/ a bottle nipple for milk and then a smaller one w/ the sippy spout with water.  After a few days of her taking the sippy of water, I put the sippy spout on the bottle of milk and she took to it like magic!  I just stopped offering the bottle nipple and she figured it out.

Could you talk to the parent of the other child and ask if you could try to transition them both out of the bottle at the same time?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/22664353?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    one other strange thing that sort of helped.. She got a little baby doll for her birthday, with the baby doll came a fake sippy cup. This weekend she kept grabbing the fake sippy cup and trying to drink from it. So, I gave her a regular sippy cup (hard spout, not soft) and bam, she figured it out! I think the key is not to cave on the bottle! If she's thirsty enough, she'll get it :) 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

No advice, but wanted to say good luck!

I still nurse DD when I'm home with her, but this weekend I just started offering her cow milk in a straw cup with her meals rather than water. She did ok, didn't seem to mind the taste. I sent her to daycare with 2 bottles of breastmilk and one straw cup of cow milk today.  I'm hoping to transition to one bottle of breastmilk next week, and then hopefully be off bottles completely the following week. We'll see what happens!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for your inputs. We have every imaginable sippy and straw up that's on the market. She loves drinking water from them. She's not finicky whatsoever about from which cup she drinks her water. Today, she has not had a bottle thus far, but she has drank almost no milk either. I'm going to give her a bottle this evening, just so she gets some milk. As for transitioning the other baby, I can always check with her mom. I know she told me she hasn't offered milk out of a sippy at all yet. If she's not ready, I'll just have to try to hide it.
  • Options
    The only type of sippy cup DS will take is that take and toss type. I think the others are too hard for him to drink from.  He will also drink from an open cup. He only has two bottles a day I bf the rest of the time. I plan to replace the bottle with the sippy cup Starting tomorrow. With DD I just measured the milk out in a bottle And put it in the cup. If she did fine with it I gave her the cup if she resisted  she got the bottle. I had her off the bottle by 14 or 15 months. I started at 13 months. She weaned from the breast by 18 months. 12 months is young and milk is important so I would take it slow. Try replacing one bottle at a time. The important one to battle is before bed. Milk sitting on the teeth all night is what causes many of the teeth issues. Btw straw cups are better for them vs sippy so go with the straw if you can. My ds still can't quite get the concept. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagesnicksnack:
    The only type of sippy cup DS will take is that take and toss type. I think the others are too hard for him to drink from. nbsp;He will also drink from an open cup. He only has two bottles a day I bf the rest of the time. I plan to replace the bottle with the sippy cup Starting tomorrow. With DD I just measured the milk out in a bottle And put it in the cup. If she did fine with it I gave her the cup if she resisted nbsp;she got the bottle. I had her off the bottle by 14 or 15 months. I started at 13 months. She weaned from the breast by 18 months. 12 months is young and milk is important so I would take it slow. Try replacing one bottle at a time. The important one to battle is before bed. Milk sitting on the teeth all night is what causes many of the teeth issues. Btw straw cups are better for them vs sippy so go with the straw if you can. My ds still can't quite get the concept.nbsp;

She actually does well with those same sippy cups too, althought I only have one. Would you recommend giving her a bottle after her nap? See, I usually give her a bottle before each of her two naps and one before bed. I've been offering her a sippy cup at each meal and before naps. She isn't interested, unless it's water. She has probably only had MAYBE 2 oz milk today. Obviously, this concerns me.
  • Options
    DS weaned himself by age 1, and I would have been happy to have DD do the same.  However, she has tummy issues and was barely starting to eat food a month ago.  She refuses to take her formula from a sippy, but she drinks tons of water from her sippy.  She gets 3-4 bottles during the day, and twice a week or so wakes up for a nighttime bottle.  She needs the calories.  We have an appointment with her GI tomorrow, and I am going to see if they will give me samples of Neocate Junior vanilla flavor.  Maybe that will do the trick.  I think if she could drink regular milk I wouldn't have this problem.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"