Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Colic? FTM here.

Hello all!

I'm mostly a lurker from the June board and breastfeeding board. I've cross posted w/the May board.

My LO arrived May 24 after a 5 day...yes 5 day induction process. It's his month birthday today and is celebrating by screaming for days!

FTM/SAHM and not sure if this is... Colic....normal...a growth spurt...?? As I mentioned he is four weeks today and for the last two days straight he is either screaming crying, eating or sleeping. Last week he would have at least an hour a day of being alert and not crying. Now I'm counting the minutes between feeds because it is the only time he isn't crying. He will then latch and have a short feed before passing out. Or, hang out and nurse/comfort nurse until I remove him...and he cries, and cries. He spits up too, im trying to not overfeed, even pumping through my letdown to avoid choking him. He is exclusively breastfed. He is sleeping well overnight once I can get him down. In fact I fear he sleeps too well, not sure if that's possible but he seems young to be sleeping a five hour stretch. I will wake up at around five hours because our dr noted it shouldn't be longer than that between feeds.

Thanks in advance for any input. These days are long and my heart breaks when he cries like this...all red in the face, flailing and arching occasionally.

I appreciate your time and assistance!

Re: Colic? FTM here.

• Options

Colic is determined using the rule of 3s. Crying that lasts for 3 hours at least 3 days a week for 3 weeks and has no other known cause is considered colic. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I had a colicky baby and your LO crying sounds like something else. There are a lot of ladies here experienced with reflux and allergies or intolerances. Hopefully you'll get some good tips. Good Luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• Options
    With the 3's... Three hours straight? Three hours in a day?

Thank you so much for responding!

Regarding allergies, I have celiac so I already do not consume wheat/most grains. I've also removed dairy and egg around two weeks ago because he starting being a bit refluxy. Last week was decent, this weekend into today has been much worse.

Thanks again and in advance for any help. It is very much appreciated!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Have you checked with your pediatrician to rule out any medical issues? Hope things get better for you soon.

And I believe it is 3 hours of inconsolable crying per day.

• Options
    It sounds to me like acid reflux.  DS1 started with similar symptoms around 3 weeks.  He was on Zantac from three weeks until he was about a year old.  Try sitting your LO up more while nursing (it's not easy), and try keeping him propped up for at least thirty minutes after.  DS1's triggers were anything acidic and anything with corn (baking soda, corn starch, etc).  I would definitely ask your ped about acid reflux.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options

DD2 cried from 5 or 6pm to 11pm every single day for a few months. During that time nothing consoled her. Feeding didn't help, she would latch, suck a few times and start screaming again. I didn't have a supply issue and she wasn't gassy. It was such a mystery. I thought the crying had to be 3 hours all together, but that was just what my pedi said.

The rest of the time she was a happy sweet baby and she slept so well. It was the most bizarre thing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• Options

My baby will be a month old this Thursday. My lo sounds just like yours! Basically, he wants to be held 24/7. His pediatrician said it was just his personality. He loves to eat (I bf) and I cannot spare a moment to shower or go to the bathroom without him waking and crying for me. The crying stops once I hold him and sooth him. He seems to be healthy.... just needy!

It is overwhelming, but as long as he is happy... so am I.  

• Options
    Sounds just like my high needs baby!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I agree, my daughter is the same.. Sleeps well at night but during the day all she wants is held. She sleeps well in my arms, but as soon as I put her down eyes wide open and crying. When she feeds she spits up quit a bit. It's frustrating and you feel for your little one!!
  • Options
    Thank you all for your stories, advice, input. Yesterday was a particularly bad day. Shhhhshing seemed to work a bit, but by noon I was already almost without a voice.

We are heading into the doctor today to make sure he isn't in pain/something that needs to be addressed immediately. Hoping it's a phase/growth spurt...whatever. Just breaks my heart to hear and see him scream and cry like that!

His sleep has been good, when he does doze off, usually on the boob....like right now. But spitting up has been a big issue, although he will root and suck his hands for hours. He never seems satisfied. From what I can tell he is gaining. Dr will confirm or deny today.

Thank you all again!!
  • Options

My LO is 10 weeks and almost always has a crying period in the evening.  It started about 4 weeks, was really bad for 3 weeks, now is starting to subside (still happens, but is for shorter amounts of time).

Running the vacuum cleaner in the room helps except in the worst cases (just don't accidentally fall asleep with it on yourself).  If it's bedtime and he's still super fussy, I put him  in his crib and run it for a few minutes and he'll often fall asleep.

I think the best advice I can offer is to stay calm and not let it bother you too much.  I know, easier said than done, but after getting used to it I've learned to accept it and just stay relaxed while he cries.  If I've attended to all his needs, and nothing can console him, being sad about it won't do anything.  And know that it'll end.  Good luck!

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"