Food Allergy
Options

XP: Terrible Mom/MPI question

XP from the breast feeding board. 

I feel like the worst mom in the world right now... I self diagnosed my 6 week old son with a Milk Protein Intolerance and gave up obvious dairy for about a week.  Things were going awesome and my son was a happy baby with smiles for miles and was starting to sleep for 4 hour stretches in his own crib without us!!!

Then I went to visit my parents this weekend and somehow started to second guess myself and thought maybe I was just being a paranoid first time mom (they have that effect on me)... so we had cheese pizza and ice cream for dinner last night.  Now LO is gassy and fussy and barely slept at all last night!!!! I'm so upset with myself!

SO now for my question.  We were given a sample of Enfamil Sensitive with the partially digested milk proteins... I'm wondering if, since we saw an improvement with only taking out obvious dairy from my diet (I'm talking seriously obvious: I wasn't really even reading labels for milk content yet because I wasn't really sure about his intolerance) do you think that I could pump and dump for 24 hours and get the dairy out of my system and feed him this formula to help speed the process along???

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: XP: Terrible Mom/MPI question

• Options
    If he's just "intolerant" I could see how this would work.  However, keep in mind that while it can take 24 hours to clear your system, it'll take LO 2-3 weeks to clear his.  You'll probably see improvement along the way, you just don't want to get him towards the end of healing just to yo-yo back down again.  I would talk with you pedi or a gastroenterologist and find out if it is just "intolerance" or an actual "allergy". 
  • Options
    =Lee=B=Lee=B member

My baby reacted poorly to the Alimentum formula for milk protein intolerant babies.  My pediatrician explained that those formulas are hard on baby's tummy/bowels and it shoots right through them.  I was told if I need to use the formulas to trial and error the one baby reacts to the least.

Point being, I personally feel it would be better for your baby to have your n=milk with a bit of milk protein in it for a few days then to be introduced a new formula that may be hard on the system.  You baby may be even more gassy and uncomfortable from the new formula.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I did the same thing (a few times) with doubting my self diagnosis and paying for it afterward.  The other day my local.sandwich place slipped me cheese on my sub which I atr 1/4 of before realizing.....I continued to bf for 2 hours and switched to pumping and nutramigen, but within 4 hours, the girls were screaming and they continued for about a day :(  .  I was AMAZED at how.fast they reacted and it was NOT just my imagination.  I started bring again 24 hours.post cheese and they have been fine. eThed 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"