Pre-School and Daycare

monsters university for 4 yr olds?

our kids have not been to a movie in the theater & are pretty interested... I have been waiting for a G rated movie to come out for awhile and now MOnsters University is out...anyone seen it? We have not seen Monsters Inc. My kids (DS in particular) get a little scared at a lot of movies & I wasn't sure if Monsters Inc would plant ideas about monsters in their room, etc... He won't watch Lion King or Nemo b/c he gets scared, he can barely handle sleeping beauty b/c of the dragon (even though he loves to act it out as if he is the prince & I'm the dragon), etc...

Thoughts? They are going to be 4 relatively soon.

Re: monsters university for 4 yr olds?

• My 3yo loves Monsters Inc, Lion King, Finding Nemo, so I wouldn't hesitate to let her see Monsters University. If she got scared by any of the Disney movies (and some can get a little scary!!) I probably wouldn't risk it.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hmmm Ok maybe we'll try Monsters inc via netflix this week and see how it goes.

As an adult I'm sort of surprised at how scary some disney movies are--- the beginning of Nemo is ughhh :(. But most kids probably don't even get it I guess.

• Loading the player...
  • LoCarbLoCarb member
    I would begin the movie experience at the dollar theater. If they can't sit through the entire thing you're only out a dollar.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagegroovygrl:

Hmmm Ok maybe we'll try Monsters inc via netflix this week and see how it goes.

As an adult I'm sort of surprised at how scary some disney movies are--- the beginning of Nemo is ughhh :(. But most kids probably don't even get it I guess.

I totally agree about how scary Lion King and Nemo are.  Cars is an awesome movie.  It's not scary and has a very good moral.  We haven't made it through Cars 2 yet.  He thinks it's boring and I agree.

I'm waiting for Planes to come out in August.  I'm hoping it's similar enough to Cars.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My 4 yo told me she can't see it.  I asked why and she said because monsters ink said a very bad word.  The "s" word (stupid).  Lol! 

When she was younger, we dipped our toes into the movie experience by going to free movies in the park, and $1 summer kids movies which some theaters do with older movies.   They seem to be much more laid back and easy to leave with no loss if you need to. 

• imageali0608:
    imagegroovygrl:

I totally agree about how scary Lion King and Nemo are.  Cars is an awesome movie.  It's not scary and has a very good moral.  We haven't made it through Cars 2 yet.  He thinks it's boring and I agree.

I'm waiting for Planes to come out in August.  I'm hoping it's similar enough to Cars.

That's hilarious- DS also loves Cars (and Toy Story 1) but really hates Cars 2 for whatever reason... He doesn't particularly like TS 2 or 3 either.  I didn't know about Planes!

I guess we'll skip MU if it is about being scary. Geez.

Unfortunately I work f/t so going to the $1 movies on Tues & Wed mornings is not really an option unless I take off...maybe I'll look into that though. 

• imagegroovygrl:
    imageali0608:
    imagegroovygrl:

That's hilarious- DS also loves Cars (and Toy Story 1) but really hates Cars 2 for whatever reason... He doesn't particularly like TS 2 or 3 either.  I didn't know about Planes!

I guess we'll skip MU if it is about being scary. Geez.

Unfortunately I work f/t so going to the $1 movies on Tues & Wed mornings is not really an option unless I take off...maybe I'll look into that though. 

We are going to wait for Planes for his first movie experience. And check your area you may find a  dollar theatre where the cost is 1-2 at that theatre all the time, not just on tues/wed mornings

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• My kids are scared really easily with kid movies... though they love How to Train a Dragon... go figure.  We won't do Monster's University.  We did eventually get them to watch Monster's Inc., but there was alot of eye closing going on.  

• nah82nah82 member
    We took my 3.5 year old to see Monsters University over the weekend and he saw Monsters, Inc. in theaters last fall and we have the DVD.  He actually laughs when he watches it and is not scared.  He did ask daddy to check the closet for monsters one single time after we saw it the first time, but only that one night.  He likes to play that his little brother is a "scary monster" and is giggling the whole time he tells me "Mommy, there's a scary monster in here!"  He made the wood Mike and Sully scarers at Lowe's and likes wiggle them at me to try to scare me, too.  He seems to get that they are nice monsters.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We took our 4yr old DD and 2yr old DS over the weekend to see Monster's University and they both did great. It was the first trip to the theatre for my 2yr old and I was a little scared but he did great. I will say that Monster's Inc when Sully comes out of the closet scares him to pieces but Monster's university wasn't scary to him at all. I would do a movie night at home to see how well they will sit through the first Monster's Inc movie, though before venturing out to the theatre and then hit the matin?e so it doesn't cost as much and wont be as crowded. GL!!
  • Monsters University was not scary for my 4 year old. I thought the 1st one had more action. 

• I haven't seen MU, but we went to go see MI when it was out around Christmas, DD1 was a little over 3.5.  she was ok in the theater, although a few parts scared her, but it was maybe a two months before she was able to go to sleep on her own without coming down every 15 minutes.  turns out she was scared a monster was going to come into her room or DD2's room and take her.  So we had to tie all the closets closed, and had lots of talks about how monsters are pretend and mommy and daddy would never let anything happen to her.  

SPOILER ALERT:  The basic premise of MI is that monsters get energy to power their town from children's screams, and they get the kids to scream by scaring them.  At the end of the movie, they learn they get more energy with laughter, and even after reminded DD1 of that she still thought the monsters were going to scare her.  MU is about when the monsters learn to scare, so I'm guessing there's going to be lots of scares! 

I don't think we're going to be seeing it in the theater.

• I like the common sense media website. Here's what they say.

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/monsters-university

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I took my 3 y/o this past week to see it. It was her first movie in a theatre and she did awesome! We stayed till the end and she (and I) loved every bit of it! :-)  

J+E ~ 08/25/2007   DD#1 ~ 05/11/2010   DD#2 ~ 09/25/2013   DD#3 ~ 06/09/2016   Baby #4 Due ~ 01/16/2023

• My two year old sat through most of the movie fine--she started to get bored by the end. She was scared going into the dark theater--and didn't like the previews, but once the movie started she was fine. 

Of course her new catch phrase is "Where'd ________ go?" So every time one of them was off the screen for a second, she would ask that. They would come back on the screen and she would exclaim: There you are!

However, she LOVES Monsters Inc--and particularly loves Randall. She watches Monsters Inc all the time. 

My daughter is my hero.
  • ReeB83ReeB83 member

My 3yo didn't find it scary at all. It was his first movie too and he was mesmerize. PP is right, it is a little scarier--there's more "scaring" involved and the Dean creeps me out, but there's enough levity in those moment that it's not terrifying.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"