Potty Training
Options

How did you know when to start?

My DD is 26 months and my DH is pushing to start toilet training. But I don't really see any signs of readiness. Nothing in her behavior or habits would suggest that anything has really "changed" over the last few months, i.e. she still has full, wet diapers when I change her every two hours, she doesn't tell me when she needs to go, she doesn't seem uncomfortable in wet diapers, she knows what a toilet is but thinks it's just for adults, etc.

So how did you know it was time? Or did you just jump in one day? And did signs of "readiness" correlate with an easier time potty training?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How did you know when to start?

• Options

I just started potty training my DS. He as had a potty for a year and most nights I would put him on it before his bath so he was familiar with the process. He showed me that he was interested when he was sitting on the potty with his clothes on and then getting up and cheering for himself.

Im trying a 3day training this weekend and it seems to be working for him.  If he wasn't showing me that he was interested in the potty I probably wouldn't be doing it right now. I'm not sure what I'm going to do for bedtime yet (I need to decide soon). He wakes up wet every morning still so I don't think he is ready for nighttime training but the article I read said to do day and night time all at once. 

• Options
    My son was talking about being a big boy, so I thought it was a good time to start. Also, I could tell that he knew when he was peeing in his diaper. We started with sitting him on the potty during his bedtime routine. He usually had a BM at this time. After a couple of weeks of this, we did the 3 day potty training method on babycenter.

The pedi hands out this potty training readiness quiz.
    https://www.pantley.com/elizabeth/books/0071476903.php?nid=378isbn=0071476903
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am training my boy! i am just starting,he tell me for poo.... so i put a potty chair available for him, and started playing games witht the potty, and also started reading him stories about the potty...by the way, i found a great app called..... potty training learing with the animals.....my son loves it...
  • Options
    DD1 was also content while wearing her diapers, but when we tried to change her she would throw fits. The book I read ("Oh crap! potty training") is by a woman who is a PTing consultant (who knew there even was such a job...), and she highly recommends PTing between 20-30 months because after that they tend to be more resistant. So we started DD at 26 months. She does a version of the 3-day method, and it worked really well. We started I think 3 weeks ago, and after the first week, DD1 has had I think 2 accidents? Not per day, but total in the last 2 weeks. We still put a diaper on her for naps and nighttime, but she usually wakes up dry and goes to pee right after I take her diaper off.

I don't know if your DD is ready, but for us, I just got frustrated trying to change her diaper with her flailing all over the place yelling "no! no! no!" Plus we'll be moving this fall and I didn't want to have to deal with PTing as soon as we move.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"