Two Under 2

Preparing toddler for newborn

I have an 18month old, and baby is due Dec. 7th
How did you all prepare your LO?
I've been playing with baby dolls with her and I talk about baby even though she may not understand right now.

Re: Preparing toddler for newborn

• Besides dolls a book about the topic that you read everyday is a good idea. I'm a big brother by Joanna cole is a good read.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKC_13:
    Besides dolls a book about the topic that you read everyday is a good idea. I'm a big brother by Joanna cole is a good read.

We used that book and liked it a lot as well. Definitely recommend it.

We just casually started telling DS about how Jack was in Mommy's tummy and would he like to pat Mommy's tummy? And he would and we'd say, aww, that's so nice. And then we'd move on to other things. We kept it low stress. We did that on a regular basis during 2nd tri and early 3rd and then started introducing other aspects in really mild ways. We got the book and started reading it and talking about what Jack would be like when he came out. He started talking about Jack and pointing to my tummy, kissing it, etc., and then our babysitter and my SIL started talking about Jack, and all of it helped give DS enough exposure to the idea that soon there would be a little baby named Jack in the house.

The day we brought Jack home from the hospital, DS was SO excited. He ran over and gave the baby a ton of nice pats and kisses and had, with the help of his sitter, made a welcome home sign. It was incredibly sweet and touching.

We always compliment DS on what a nice brother he is anytime he does the smallest thing...gently patting the baby's foot or hand, gently rocking the baby's car seat, etc. We always tell him he can help gently and show him what gentle is, etc. He's done extremely well with all of it.

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"