Babies on the Brain
Options

First time TTC

I am recently married and am TTC for the first time. I've read all the tips and suggestions, like having sex every other day on your fertile days and whatnot, and this may sound silly but how can I be sure when I am ovulating? Such a short window of opportunity is hard enough, and I want to make sure we are taking advantage of every chance we get. Any suggestions?

Re: First time TTC

• Options

FertilityFriend.com. Take the tutorials and pick up a basal body thermometer at Walgreen's or CVS.

Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Options
    imageDebateThis:

FertilityFriend.com. Take the tutorials and pick up a basal body thermometer at Walgreen's or CVS.

This. FF is free and has tutorials to help you. Plus the Trying To Get Pregnant board has a lot of great and very helpful ladies.  You can also buy ovulation tests, most women on here use wandfos, I bought 100 for like $25 I think, they're cheap and accurate. 

Daisypath - (fpox)Lilypie - (cr8G)  Lilypie - (jTpT)Lilypie - (LZoT)
    Started Dating DH 09/03/2009 Married 07/01/2011 
    Surprise BFP 10/18/2008 EDD 06/19/2009 DS #1 Born 06/16/2009
    TTC #2 12/2010 BFP 05/15/2011 EDD 01/09/2012 DS #2 Born 01/11/2012
    DH adopted DS #1 06/25/2012
    TTC #3 06/2013 BFP 02/19/2014 EDD 10/30/2014 DS #3 Born 10/10/2014

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I use Ovuline. It's also charting software, but it predicts your O day based on a bunch of stuff FF doesn't measure, and gives you a fertility score each day, which makes it easy to use. 

BTW, you're most fertile in the two days before ovulation, and science has actually shown you have the best odds of conceiving if you have sex every day during your fertile window, not every other day (assuming your H has healthy sperm).  No reason to deny yourself.  ;) 

• Options

There are a lot of signs (https://pregnant.thebump.com/getting-pregnant/fertility-ovulation.aspx) that can show you when your fertile window is, but it depends on how much work you want to do, and how much of a rush you are to get pregnant as to whether you want do all or even some of these things.

I suggest going to Fertility Friend and signing up for a free account. You can start by just keeping track of your periods, maybe check cervical mucous, and step up to ovulation prediction strips and recording your basal body temperatures when/if you feel up to it. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    EDD: December 8, 2014
  • Options
    imageFemShep:

I use Ovuline. It's also charting software, but it predicts your O day based on a bunch of stuff FF doesn't measure, and gives you a fertility score each day, which makes it easy to use. 

BTW, you're most fertile in the two days before ovulation, and science has actually shown you have the best odds of conceiving if you have sex every day during your fertile window, not every other day (assuming your H has healthy sperm).  No reason to deny yourself.  ;) 

I clicked on the link in your siggy, but I'm wondering what FF doesn't measure that Ovuline does? I made an account, and I filled in the things that I had recorded on My Cycles on my phone, but I don't see what the huge difference is between FF and Ovuline. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageChristyML:
    imageFemShep:

I clicked on the link in your siggy, but I'm wondering what FF doesn't measure that Ovuline does? I made an account, and I filled in the things that I had recorded on My Cycles on my phone, but I don't see what the huge difference is between FF and Ovuline. 

Ovuline tracks additional information like mood, physical symptoms, food intake, weight and activity level. But the big difference is how they use the data. FF uses clinical guidelines to identify when ovulation has occurred in the past. Ovuline uses clinical guidelines to identify when ovulation has occurred but also uses a machine learning algorithm to look at all of the other data across its entire user base, identify patterns and trends, and predict when ovulation will occur. They've found some interesting things (like that you're likely to report feeling calm, happy, and in love right before ovulation) and their average time to pregnancy is two months.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"