Two Under 2
Options

Keeping a routine

DS is 18 months old, and DS2 is set to arrive in about 2.5 months. DS1 and I have a great routine that keeps us both happy and entertained all day long. It's absolutely wonderful!

My question is this: how did your first child's routine change when you had your second baby? Or how drastically did it change? Will I be able to get all three of us into a happy routine? How long did it take you to settle into a new routine?

I'm a SAHM, and I love it! But, I like routine and I like a clean house too! I'm really nervous about how much things will change. I'm also incredibly nervous about nursing the baby. DS1 is so independent, I'm not used to being actually needed for more than diaper changes, laying him down, and making him food. Of course we play a ton too!!!! He just doesn't NEED me a lot.

I suppose I'm just nervous and anxious!!

Re: Keeping a routine

• Options
    I'm a SAHM mom too and I love routine. I understand with two very young kids that's not always easy, but it works for me knowing what to expect.

BFing wasn't super important to me. I started out doing it but I found it was easier [for me] to so bottles because he took so long to nurse [which is normal, i know] I pumped in addition for 5 weeks until my supply tanked thanks to the flu [that was fun!]. So I guess all that's to say I don't really have advice for what to do when your nursing.

I think my biggest advice would be to continue on with your life. It's harder getting out with two kids but I still do it. I waited about a month and we returned back to story time [the baby still slept in the carrier so it was easy to keep him away from others] and we will got out to play, go places, etc.

Also, I got DS1 a few new toys for when we got home with the baby so he would have something new to play with. Also, I mad sure to put the baby down plenty when he slept because I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time with DS1 to play, read or let him have all my attention. Babies sleep so much as first so that's really not too hard to do!

• Options

I struggled with the same thing when #2 was little. After trying a lot of different things, I've come up with a routine that's been working really well for us.

Both kids wake up about 7am. Baby is up for about 1 hour 45 min, then I put on Mickey Mouse for #1 while I put #2 down for a nap. He'll sleep about 45 min. While he's sleeping, I can have 2 hands to clean, play with #1, and get some things done for the morning. We can run a quick errand after he wakes up before lunch time. Baby can be up for a little over 2 hours, so his next nap is usually right before #2 needs lunch. I'll feed #1 lunch, then he'll take a long nap. This is also #2's longest nap of the day. If both kids sleep at the same time, I get a nap or "me time". After #1 wakes up, we'll run a longer errand/playdate/park/etc. so he can get some energy out. DS #2 will take his third and final nap about 2.5 hours after he gets up in his car seat while we're out. We come home, have dinner, then both boys start bedtime routine at 7, go down at the same time, then we're good for the night!

So overall, we work around #1's schedule, and #2 fits in pretty well. I try and let #2 get 2 naps at home, so he gets the opportunity to get good sleep. I've taught #1 "ssh baby is sleeping" and he'll be quiet when I put baby down. DS #1 will get a sippy of milk if I'm feeding #2 if he's being needy, and I have a whole DVR of kids shows. I try and only let him watch TV if I need him to be entertained for a while. This is basically the same routine we had before #2, so #1 isn't thrown off very much. Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You may get thrown off your game in the beginning, but you will figure out a routine. It might be a modification of the old one or it might be a completely new one. No worries! Just get through the first few weeks and you'll eventually figure out what works best for your family. You might have to clean the house at night after everyone's in bed, but you'll make it work.
    natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"