Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Your D&C experiences (in detail)

Okay, so no matter how much I read, I can't seem to find enough.  Or at least not what I want to find.  The instructions my doctor sent home said bleeding and/or yellowish discharge for 1-4 weeks.

So my questions is, how soon after your D&C did you start bleeding?  Did you have pain and/or cramping?  How bad was it compared to your normal period?  If you've also had a natural miscarriage before, was it easier/harder pain-wise?  

I had my D&C at 2:30p yesterday and other than a little pressure so light I don't really notice it unless I think about it, I have nothing.  Granted it's only been 18 hours, but still.  I don't know when it normally STARTS.  Everything I'm finding is personal accounts saying the bleeding lasted X number days.  But nothing about when it started. 

Sorry for being so long-winded.  And TIA for anyone that helps answer!

Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.

Re: Your D&C experiences (in detail)

• Options
    Hello - sorry for your loss.  I had my D&C on Tuesday and aside from very light bleeding the day of, I have had nothing.  No cramps (well barely any), no bleeding on Wednesday and still no bleeding now.   I never had to take any pain pills. I feel pretty normal, although I tired out a lot just walking around the neighborhood (and i'm normally a runner).

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Yeah, I've been a bit worried to exercise.  I think I'm going to hold off on returning to my normal routine for at least a week.  Mostly because DH is pretty insistent on that. 

I also have no pain meds, but I did take an aspirin for a headache last night.  And will likely do so again today.  But I think the headache is more weather-related.

I'm sorry you're having to go through this.  I hope it gets over soon.  

Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think it's wise to lay off the exercise as it can increase bleeding if your body isn't ready.  My doc said I could walk - I made the deal with myself that I would walk when I stopped bleeding and I was surprised at how tired it made me.

I'm sorry that we are all going through this.  Never in a million years would I think it would happen to ME....soooo naive. 

• Options
    I had my D&C on Wednesday, late in the afternoon. I've never had another mc because this was our first.  I had wanted to, but it never happened. I bled pretty heavily right after, but it tapered off when I got home and I only spotted a tiny bit yesterday.  I wasn't aware that there was more to come, but it wouldn't surprise me either.  We're given so much information and things to process data-wise on top of trying to emotionally process our loss :(.  I will let you know if I start bleeding or have any other kind of cramps, etc.  I'm so sorry you are going through this, it's awful.
    Began trying for a baby January 2012
    BFP 4.25.2013  EDD 1.3.2014  MMC 6.3.2013  D&C 6.19.2013
    BFP 11.3.2013  CP 11.6.2013
    BFP 3.31.2014 EDD 12.10.2014 Baby boy Carlson born 12.19.2014 
  • Options

imagecarlsonbaby2014:
    I had my D&C on Wednesday, late in the afternoon. I've never had another mc because this was our first.  I had wanted to, but it never happened. I bled pretty heavily right after, but it tapered off when I got home and I only spotted a tiny bit yesterday.  I wasn't aware that there was more to come, but it wouldn't surprise me either.  We're given so much information and things to process data-wise on top of trying to emotionally process our loss :(.  I will let you know if I start bleeding or have any other kind of cramps, etc.  I'm so sorry you are going through this, it's awful.

Thanks, you too.  And that would be great if you could keep me posted!

• Options

I had my D&C May 8.

1) how soon after your D&C did you start bleeding? Immediately. While I was in the hospital I had a pad. It wasn't overly bad bleeding, probably like the way the flow is during the middle of my period.

2) Did you have pain and/or cramping? Not really at first. I was taking the prescription Ibuprofen my doctor prescribed but I didn't notice strong cramping until the week after.

3) How bad was it compared to your normal period?It was like my period except it covered my entire stomach. It wasn't unbearable but it mad me stop for a moment a few times.

4) If you've also had a natural miscarriage before, was it easier/harder pain-wise? I haven't had that before so I don't have insight there.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I know it can be scarey when you don't know what to expect. The other thing is, experiences with D&C's vary, so that only makes it more confusing.

I've seen some people say they had no bleeding, very little bleeding, a lot of bleeding. The red flags seem to be if you are in excruciating pain or are bleeding through more than 1 pad in 1 hour or if the discharge has a bad odor to it.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

• Options

I had a D&C on June 4 after delivering my twin girls at 18 weeks. I didn't realize I was in labor until my water broke and it was too late. 

I had to be completely put under for my D&C because of extreme blood loss and the CRNA didn't want to chance it doing it any other way. I remember waking up bleeding a lot more than any normal period I ever had. I just stopped bleeding day before yesterday, so almost 2 weeks later. I had a f/u yesterday with the OB and she said that it is normal to bleed for up to 4 weeks.

I cramped too but it could be from the petocin and methrogin they gave me to contract my uterus back to normal. It wasn't horrible though, just like a bad period. This was my first pregnancy and unfortunately my first miscarriage so I don't really have anything to compare it to.

• Options
    imagesoon2bmrsdaniel:

I had a D&C on June 4 after delivering my twin girls at 18 weeks. I didn't realize I was in labor until my water broke and it was too late. 

I had to be completely put under for my D&C because of extreme blood loss and the CRNA didn't want to chance it doing it any other way. I remember waking up bleeding a lot more than any normal period I ever had. I just stopped bleeding day before yesterday, so almost 2 weeks later. I had a f/u yesterday with the OB and she said that it is normal to bleed for up to 4 weeks.

I cramped too but it could be from the petocin and methrogin they gave me to contract my uterus back to normal. It wasn't horrible though, just like a bad period. This was my first pregnancy and unfortunately my first miscarriage so I don't really have anything to compare it to.

I'm so sorry for you loss.  Later losses are always so much harder.  I hope you're doing okay.

• Options

Update:

I finally started spotting ever so slightly last night.  So right around 36 hours after the d&c.  I slept with a heat back on my stomach/back off and on for few hours last night.  That seemed to help my relax and apparently helped get things going.

• Options
    Hi.  I wanted to keep you posted, so here's how things have changed since my last post.  Wednesday was the D&C, Thursday I only had minor spotting, and since then, I've had some heavier spotting, and even some tissue-like things that I've noticed after I've peed.  Also, there's been blood pretty regularly, like if I was on my period and still wearing a pad (it's been ages since I've gone through a period with only a pad...like, since middle school).  A nurse from my OBGYN's office called me Friday to check in and see how I was doing.  I asked her about the increase in blood and she said it was normal since I was also being a little more active Friday than Thursday since I decided to go back to work that day.  Even with a desk job, I had been moving around more, so that was the cause of it.  *sigh*  I hope this helps..
    Began trying for a baby January 2012
    BFP 4.25.2013  EDD 1.3.2014  MMC 6.3.2013  D&C 6.19.2013
    BFP 11.3.2013  CP 11.6.2013
    BFP 3.31.2014 EDD 12.10.2014 Baby boy Carlson born 12.19.2014 
  • Options
    Im not sure when it started. It was a day or two after my d&c. Then when it started it was like a period but it stopped and started. It went on for about a week and a half.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Mirena removed 11/10/11. BFP 02/20/13 - MMC discovered 4/17/13 @ 11w4d. 
    BFP 12/14/13, EDD 8/21/14.It's a BOY! DS born 8/15/14.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"