July 2012 Moms
Options

FFFC

2»

Re: FFFC

• Options

imagechristinemmf:
    I speak english to Cam, H speaks norwegian. Both H and i speak norwegian to each other. Sometimes though we'll speak norwenglish (our name for half norwegian, half english) to each other. The bad part is, we both understand each other even if nobody else would because it sounds like complete gibberish. Every other word english and throw in some norwegian and to top it off we'll throw in some badly directly translated words too to make it fun. Probably should stop doing that in front of Cam so he doesn't start talking like an idiot ;)

He wont, he'll pick up from each language. I grew up in a house where my mom spoke in french and my dad always spoke in english. Well cajun english..I know not technically a language but you'd have to hear it to believe it. I picked up on both languages and still use both to this day. Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options

imageMeow84:
    This is a lame one and more of a nerd alert, but I read the CDC website for fun.

wow - you DO have a calling in public health! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I kind of want to get Charlie's hair cut into a pixie cut, just because I think she looks so adorable with it. But MH is boycotting that idea, has told me I can't get her hair cut yet. It could be doubly bad because we call her Charlie and I'm afraid people will think the short hair make her a boy in girl's clothes. But she's so darn cute with short hair!

Even a minor event in the life of a child is an event of that child's world and thus a world event.

• Options
    imageJodieLyn10:
    imagesummergirl1211:
    imagenesenotes:

imageBubbaJug:
    I have never mowed a lawn... With H being gone for the next week... I'm either going to have to learn how or be THAT neighbor. Such things are taken very seriously in my neighborhood...

Haha we are totally that neighbor. My H insists on doing it even though its really not his strong suit. My dad keeps pressuring us to just get a gardener because over here they arent very expensive. But my H insists!! 

So every once in a while an older neighbor a couple houses down comes over with his edger and edges the front yard because he cant stand it. Poor old guy.

Bubba, I've also never mowed a lawn. I'm afraid I couldn't get the mower started even if I wanted to.

And we are close to being THAT neighbor. It makes it harder when one of our neighbors is a professional landscaper (DH refuses to hire anyone to help) and another neighbor is obsessed with his yard. And yet ours is usually the longest and has the most weeds (even though we spray/fertilize every spring/fall). It's really hard to keep up!

First: I don't do yard work.  Period.

Second: My H is "that neighbor" that will mow his neighbor's yard if it starts looking shabby. 

Edited for major quoting FAIL!

I saw our neighbor weed whipping the grass behind our garage this week. If that's not a sign we are THOSE neighbors, not sure what would be. ha! 

• Options
    imageSunshineLady6:
    imagemegs52881:

imageSallySunrise:
    Yowza. I confess that I need a thicker skin, if this is what people think about doulas! Wish I wasn't on my way out of town, so I could provide some good links. Humbug.

Yes,I promise it wasn't a jab at you.  I think however you want to make a living is great.  I just personally think the idea is silly.  I am still not sure what they do that the doctor, nurse or husband can't or won't.

I can see if you had a home birth, but in the hospital I just don't get it.  

I agree with you Meg (no offense Sally). My husband was my coach and my support through labor.

I can't imagine paying someone to do what I feel a husband or s/o should do for you in labor.

There is research out there that shows doulas can be helpful and lower medical costs, especially for low-income women who typically don't have the support most of us are lucky to have. One of my professors just helped pass a law in MN to allow Medicaid to pay for doula support. It has been shown to actually SAVE taxpayers money. So, there are people who certainly can and do benefit from doulas :) This is fairly interesting stuff. I know there is more out there on this too - this is just the one that came to mind off the top of my head. 

https://www.advances.umn.edu/2013/02/doula-care-for-low-income-women-could-save-taxpayers-money/

• Options
    imagemightybee:
    imageKdoy705:
    imageSunshineLady6:
    imagemegs52881:

imageSallySunrise:
    Yowza. I confess that I need a thicker skin, if this is what people think about doulas! Wish I wasn't on my way out of town, so I could provide some good links. Humbug.

Yes,I promise it wasn't a jab at you.  I think however you want to make a living is great.  I just personally think the idea is silly.  I am still not sure what they do that the doctor, nurse or husband can't or won't.

I can see if you had a home birth, but in the hospital I just don't get it.  

I agree with you Meg (no offense Sally). My husband was my coach and my support through labor.

I can't imagine paying someone to do what I feel a husband or s/o should do for you in labor.

There is research out there that shows doulas can be helpful and lower medical costs, especially for low-income women who typically don't have the support most of us are lucky to have. One of my professors just helped pass a law in MN to allow Medicaid to pay for doula support. It has been shown to actually SAVE taxpayers money. So, there are people who certainly can and do benefit from doulas :) This is fairly interesting stuff. I know there is more out there on this too - this is just the one that came to mind off the top of my head. 

https://www.advances.umn.edu/2013/02/doula-care-for-low-income-women-could-save-taxpayers-money/

Very interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing this! I am really interested to this kind of policy work.

We have amazing insurance so it was free.   Not a dime.  If I had a doula my bill would have been 1,000.  But, now I am just being a jerk.  I really, really respect everyones opinions and think everyone needs to do what is right for them.  What was right for me and what will be right for me in the future is trusting my doctor and nurses and having the support of my husband and family. 

This is kind of like if I started giving you all research to read from PETA, you would probably say, "lovely.  Thank you.  Now I want a burger" 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Paddy

Just when I was beginning to kind of understand you wrote this:

I get that each person should do what is best for their families, I agree. I do not however, think that if I, or anyone else, uses a doula, that means we do not trust or doctors/nurses and/or don't have support from our families.

So then why have a doula? 

As far as I know and have researched a doula is a knowledgable, supportive coach. I feel like I had about 20 in the room and they were free, my family and or had years of medical experience.  You sound like you had that support system as well. 

You say tomato  I say ta-mah-toe.  We will agree to disagree.  I totally get why people would have gotten upset over this, but there is no reason to try to show you are right.  You did what was right for you and I did what was right for me.  

Doula=silly, silly, silly person to ME, doesn't need to be the same for you. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    KarmBKarmB member
    on morning when i have to drop her off at the sitters, Sometimes as Im getting ready I hear her poop and i dont change her and play dumb when shes smelly at the sitters so she change her.

• Options
    KarmBKarmB member

imagechipmunk112511:
    Su

gasp 

• Options
    imageKarmB:
    on morning when i have to drop her off at the sitters, Sometimes as Im getting ready I hear her poop and i dont change her and play dumb when shes smelly at the sitters so she change her.

Wow. Good parenting. It's your kid, change her FFS.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    KarmBKarmB member
  • Options

imageKarmB:

I sincerely hope that your previous post about letting your kid sit in sh!t was a just to get a rise out of people... If not, shame on you. Your poor child. 

• Options
    KarmBKarmB member
    imageBubbaJug:

imageKarmB:

I sincerely hope that your previous post about letting your kid sit in sh!t was a just to get a rise out of people... If not, shame on you. Your poor child. 

yes, it was to see how fast someone would respond and who it would be. Im very impressed. lol. 

• Options
    imageKarmB:
    imageBubbaJug:

imageKarmB:

yes, it was to see how fast someone would respond and who it would be. Im very impressed. lol. 

I don't believe you. Based off of many things, I truly believe you let her sit in a dirty diaper. Poor lilah.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Random one, I didn't own a purse until college... I still only have one and it's a cheepie from Target. Sometimes I wish I didn't have enough to carry around to require a purse.

Even a minor event in the life of a child is an event of that child's world and thus a world event.

• Options
    KarmBKarmB member
    imagecwm11985:
    imageKarmB:
    imageBubbaJug:

imageKarmB:

I don't believe you. Based off of many things, I truly believe you let her sit in a dirty diaper. Poor lilah.

yes, I havent changed her since she came home from the hospital. Shes very heavy right now. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"