Friend has 13 month old front facing

2»

Re: Friend has 13 month old front facing

• Options
    imagececilyandgautam:
    imagesunnyday016:
    imagececilyandgautam:
    imageMomToNeeners:

But back to the car seat issue...yes it is a parent's choice, but when it's the law, that's a little different. I know here in KS, it's the law to keep infants RFing until age 2. Also, they're not doing it to blow smoke up your backside.

However it's the same with people who use walkers. The AAP is against walkers, but people still use them and they are still being sold in stores. 

Is it the law in most states? In my state, rear-facing is only required until 1 and most families I know don't bother beyond that, but if OP lives in a state where it's not legal, then she has an option of just saying "hey, don't know if you're aware, but if you ever get pulled over, you might get a ticket for having LO front facing" That's less obnoxious than some of the alternatives. 

2 is not the law in ANY state. Almost every state has "proper use" law, meaning that until x number of years children must be secured in a properly used car seat. Meaning that they must follow the manufacturer's specifications on the seat. If the seat specifies a weight, height, and age for minimum use, then all of those must be met for it to be legal. Example: all Dorel seats (Safety 1st, Cosco, and Maxi Cosi) have a 22lb, 1 year, and 32" minimum for FF. So a 23lb, 1 year old, who is 30" has not met the minimum, and it's therefore illegal to use in FF in a proper use state. Although, I doubt most law enforcement people would know this...

Well that would explain why pretty much every other family on my block is forward facing - plenty of toddler carseats for sale at the nearest Babies R US only forward face and they are approved starting at 22 lbs :/  Some people may not know the benefits of continuing to rear face, but I think most people just decide based on "oh, isn't it more enjoyable for the baby to see what you see?"

The law is horribly behind on what is actually safe, let alone best practice :/ 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options

imageNicb13:
    OP, I have a friend on FB who posted a pic of his 11 month old FF and although I kind of did a double take...I'd never say anything to them. Not my place.

It actually has been the AAP's recommendation for a LONG time to keep kids RF for as long as possible. It was only in 2010 that they put the age 2 out there. But their wording has said "to the limits of the seat" and "for as long as possible" for much longer than that. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageNicb13:
    imagesunnyday016:

imageNicb13:
    OP, I have a friend on FB who posted a pic of his 11 month old FF and although I kind of did a double take...I'd never say anything to them. Not my place.

It actually has been the AAP's recommendation for a LONG time to keep kids RF for as long as possible. It was only in 2010 that they put the age 2 out there. But their wording has said "to the limits of the seat" and "for as long as possible" for much longer than that. 

I hear ya. DH wants DS turned around (for no good reason) but I'm adamant about keeping him RF. I drive him around the most so it's my call. To me, it's not that difficult having them RF'ing so I don't see what the big deal is with turning them around to FF and why people are in such a rush.

My point was that it's not my place to tell someone else what to do with their children. This "friend" on FB isn't someone that I know that well so I don't want to be passive aggressive and post a general article about car seats on FB. However, I do have a friend that just had a baby and had no idea about RF vs. FF and what is safest so I told her a little about it. All depends on how you deliver the information and how well you know the person I guess.

I totally quoted the wrong part of what you said-sorry! I meant to quote whoever said the thing about the AAP recommending "as long as possible" only 3 years ago.

• Options
    ebp913ebp913 member
    imageNicb13:
    imagesunnyday016:

imageNicb13:

I hear ya. DH wants DS turned around (for no good reason) but I'm adamant about keeping him RF. I drive him around the most so it's my call. To me, it's not that difficult having them RF'ing so I don't see what the big deal is with turning them around to FF and why people are in such a rush.

My point was that it's not my place to tell someone else what to do with their children. This "friend" on FB isn't someone that I know that well so I don't want to be passive aggressive and post a general article about car seats on FB. However, I do have a friend that just had a baby and had no idea about RF vs. FF and what is safest so I told her a little about it. All depends on how you deliver the information and how well you know the person I guess.

My DH wanted to flip our DD and I told him no way.  I told him that if he wanted to do the research and he came up with scientific reasons for why we should FF her we could.  He didn't research it and so I get to make the call.  He now knows why it's safer but initially I just told him that whoever did the research got to make the decision and I of course knew that he looked into it, he would come to the same conclusion that I did.  That RF for as long as possible is the safest option.   

image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"