Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Lunch at camp, WWYD?

DS is at a great day camp this summer that has lunch catered. They are awesome, healthy lunches. However, I have the typical kid who doesn't like to try something he is not familiar with. Even though I know he would like it.

Each day there are several items so my hope was that he would be so hungry from running around and seeing his peers eating, that he would try some new things and relax about eating new things. Well, three days in, I am pretty sure he has only eaten bread at lunch and filled in the gaps with graham crackers at snack times.

I have the option of sending in his lunch. But I really like their lunch choices and I was hoping this would be a learning experience for him. What would you do? Send it or let him experience more of the catered lunch even if that means he will eat less rounded meals?

Re: Lunch at camp, WWYD?

• Options
    AudteeAudtee member
    I would not send anything. My kids are in daycare 5 days a week and are fed a wide variety of nutritious breakfast and lunch foods there not just "typical" kid foods. My DD, and now my DS, do not always like the foods and choose not to eat them, but I do not send anything in for them. There are days my DD skips the breakfast, refuses everything but the vegetable at lunch, and has some graham crackers for a snack, but that night at dinner she will make up for it. I personally think it is a good opportunity for both of my children to be exposed to new foods, have the chance to try them, and also realize that they are not always going to be able to have their favorite things. Over the years, DD has come to like things she previously refused to try.
    Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

imageAudtee:
    I would not send anything. My kids are in daycare 5 days a week and are fed a wide variety of nutritious breakfast and lunch foods there not just "typical" kid foods. My DD, and now my DS, do not always like the foods and choose not to eat them, but I do not send anything in for them. There are days my DD skips the breakfast, refuses everything but the vegetable at lunch, and has some graham crackers for a snack, but that night at dinner she will make up for it. I personally think it is a good opportunity for both of my children to be exposed to new foods, have the chance to try them, and also realize that they are not always going to be able to have their favorite things. Over the years, DD has come to like things she previously refused to try.

This

Plus I love not having to pack lunches for my girls! 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Loading the player...
  • Options

How long has it been since he started camp?

DS was like this when he started camp.  As a concerned parent, I tried catering and also making lunch from home, either way he would pick and then come home starving.

Finally when I realized this is just something he did, when he came home I just started to make him a heavy snack (something with protein) to fill him up until dinner. I didn't want to starve him.

photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I wouldn't send anything either. If he eats he eats and if not, se la vi. He may grow to like some things or try new things as camp goes on. Then again, I've never really cooked special food for my kids. So I kind of have that philosophy with any type of meal. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"