Preemies
Options

Ankle clonus

Hi ladies! My son was born March 3rd at 30 weeks 4 days gestation. I have noticed he has clonus twitching in both his ankles. His pedi has said not to worry but of course that is easier said than done. Do any of you have experience with this?

Re: Ankle clonus

• Options
    JennZKJennZK member
    Crazy timing because yesterday we had a check up and we found the same thing in one of his feet. She checked him 6 or 7 times and it only happened once. Today we had PT and she couldn't find it. I don't want to scare you but now we are switching to the Center for Children with Disabilities. There is also a much bigger history for my little guy. He has a bilateral PVL and was born at 26 weeks. He is showing other signs of delay. I'm not saying don't worry about it, but I wouldn't stress if there aren't any other signs of any developmental delays or CP symptoms. Do you have PT? They would have some more information and be able to do more of a assessment for you. 
  • Options
    I agree with Jenn. It's worth looking into with a PT, but try not to stress too much about until there is a reason to. Our Anna exhibits this, but she had grade IV/II bleeds and PVL. Did your son ever have a head ultrasound or MRI in the NICU?

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    He did have an ultrasound and they found a small cyst but nothing else. We have a PT and she said that she isn't worried about it and I try not to be either but it is hard. I'm curious, what are the signs of delay that you baby is showing? I am just trying to be an advocate for my baby but I don't know if I am just driving myself nuts :/
  • Options
    One of my sons has this.  He was also diagnosed with CP.  I read that the two are correlated, though I'm not sure how reliable that is.  None of our doctors or therapists ever said they were, it was just through my own googling that I found this.  How is he doing otherwise?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageBabymaxwell513:
    He did have an ultrasound and they found a small cyst but nothing else. We have a PT and she said that she isn't worried about it and I try not to be either but it is hard. I'm curious, what are the signs of delay that you baby is showing? I am just trying to be an advocate for my baby but I don't know if I am just driving myself nuts :/

So far, the only other signs we see are occasional tremors and that she likes to keep her hands in fists, though she will relax them. She won't put them flat on the floor to help her during tummy time, though. She is 2.5 months adjusted.  

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • Options
    DS2 (3.5yr) has ankle clonus. I didn't know the name of it (ankle clonus) until his 9mos well child check when I had that and lots of other things that were bothering me about him at the time. He was diagnosed with CP at just shy of 10mos old.
  • Options
    What were the other things that were bothering you?
  • Options

imageBabymaxwell513:
    What were the other things that were bothering you?

Eyes were intermittently crossing (not at the same time though- he has worn glasses since 10mos old), hands remained fisted after the amount of time they consider normal, right sided dominance/ignored his left hand (noticed at 6mos), legs seemed tight (I would have to typically bend his leg during a diaper change), flexed feet, late rolling, wasn't babbling much, constipated, couldn't sit or crawl at 9mos (it was like the thought hadn't even crossed his mind), wasn't banging objects together, coughs a lot (like he would swallow saliva wrong a lot). 

I saw in my original response that I said he "has" ankle clonus. I want to amend that a little to say that he haD it.  He doesn't exhibit that anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"