Adoption

Newbie with questions!

I have lurked on this board on and off for years. (stalkerish maybe? haha) My husband and I have a 5 year old little girl. Since giving birth to her, I have been unable to have any more bio children. We have always known that one day we would add to our family through adoption. My husband is in the military, and I am a stay at home mom/college student. While my husband's income is enough to support us and another child,  the thought of having to pay so much to adopt is frightening; therefore, I think we have decided to pursue adoption from foster care. We attended a required seminar through DSS, but were told that our state (NC) requires a family to foster the child for one year before an adoption would be allowed. That is not an option for us since my family will be relocating to a different state next spring. I got in touch with an agency that deals with foster care adoptions in the state we will be moving to, and learned that there's pretty much nothing we can do until we have lived in the new state for 6 months. I suppose this is just the begining of frustrations that will arise from pursuing adoption, especially through the foster care system. I just wish there was a way to speed it up! :) 

Has anyone else pursued adoption while in the military? Or moved during the process?

Also, just out of curiosity... Has anyone (that is willing to disclose) applied to any adoption grants such as helpusadopt.org, etc...  

Re: Newbie with questions!

• I'm also in NC and still in the licensing process to foster/adopt. I was surprised by the 1 year foster before adopting rule that you mentioned as that was never mentioned to us, even when they sited adoptions by licensed foster parents that had not fostered that specific child.  I'm wondering if this is a county rule or just something I've not heard of before.

Either way, if you don't plan on being in the state for more than a year then foster/adopt may not be right for you at this time. My husband and I started the process to be licensed in January and are expected to get our license in September. So that alone is a pretty lengthy process.

Patience is definitely not my virtue and has been one of the more difficult aspects to this process. I wish you luck in whichever route to expanding your family you decide to pursue! 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"