Preemies

Maybe a dumb question concerning pregnancy after a preemie...

DS was 5w2d early, so preemie, but late preterm. 

I'm pregnant with #2, but when I called to schedule my first appointment, it was no earlier than it was with #1--first appointment with the nurse is at 9w6d.  Should I be asking if I need to be seen earlier than that?  I only talked with the receptionist when I schedule the appointment.  Were your office visits and ultrasounds earlier and more frequent with pregnancies after a preemie?

Re: Maybe a dumb question concerning pregnancy after a preemie...

• My first appointment wasn't until 10 weeks with my second. I didn't start seeing the doctor weekly until 16 weeks. If your unsure about when you conceived you may get an U/S for dating purposes. I didn't get an U/S until 12 weeks when I had the NT Scan done.

• Thanks!  I know when I ovulated, so am not worried about that part.  I knew there might be more appointments later, but I'm glad to hear you didn't have more early on and I'm not missing something I should be having.

• Loading the player...
  • Also a late term preemie mom, but I think in general there isn't much they do differently until 2nd tri, when monitoring and/or p17 shots are started.  I'm sure it depends on the reason for PTL too.    This pregnancy was a result of FET, so I had earlier appts for other reasons, but my first appt with the OB wasn't until 12 weeks.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• I had a 26 weeker and my first appt. was around 8-9 weeks this time. MFM appointments were every 2 weeks starting at 12 weeks (for cervical checks) and OB followed normal schedule (every month until 28 weeks; every 2 weeks until 36; and weekly after that). So after everything is said and done, it was like I was having an appointment 3 out of the 4 weeks of the month. My cervix started to shorten at 20 weeks so I was happy about all the extra monitoring they did. Plus, I was a nervous wreck anyway up until 34/35 weeks.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Id recommend an early dating ultrasound just to be sure everyones dates are in line.  

My experience was different but despite having early ultrasounds with my 25 weeker they never actually took measurements.  My RE gave me a due date of 2/10, I thought my due date should have been 2/7, and my OB used my LMP to determine my due date of 2/4.  This didnt seem like a very big deal at the time but when I was in the middle of discussions with neonatologists about viability the difference of 6 days was big.  On paper my DD is a 25weeker but it is possible that she is really a late 23 weeker/ early 24 weeker.  

I doubt (and hope) that you wont need to deal with any of that but a simple dating ultrasound can avoid alot of confusion and stress in the event of a premature birth.   

mom to V; 25 weeker born at 1lb 7oz
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

www.virginiakkent.blogspot.com

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"