January 2012 Moms

Beds vs cribs

Hey ladies! It's been forever since I've checked in. My DD is amazing and growing so very fast. So my question today is when do you switch to a bed from the crib? I've got LO number 2 on the way jan2014, so I'm trying to figure out sleeping arrangements. Same room w/ baby? I only have one room on the same floor as mine.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Beds vs cribs

• lp0lp0 member
    Congrats! My second LO is due in December so I'm in the same boat. I've decided to keep the nursery as the nursery and move DS into the other bedroom. It didn't make sense to take the crib apart to move it into the next room. not to mention the other room is a bit smaller so it would be tight to try and fit the glider in there.

I plan to put a toddler bed in that room and start to transition him in there in October when he's about 22 months. I'm hoping he just takes to it but in case he doesn't I figure the new baby will be sleeping in our room for the first 6 months [give or take] anyways.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• We switched DS at about 20 months old and he did great.  We moved him into a toddler bed at that time.  I had DD when he was 2 years 5 months old.  She moved (from my room) to the crib (in the same room as DS) when she was about 5 months old.  They still share a room.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • we've been debating this too. DH thinks we should switch him by the time he's 2. He's afraid he's going to climb out of the crib and fall even though he hasn't tried. at least in a bed with rails its a lower fall in his mind.

I'm not convinced its necessary since he shows no sign of climbing/ falling out. we are one and done so i'm in no hurry to move him out of the crib. if we needed it for a 2nd baby it might be different

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was also due January 2014 ended up m/c. We were going to move DD to a full size bed sometime late fall since we already have the mattress and keep the nursery as a nursery. Now I'm not sure when we will move DD depends on when we have number 2.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

DD 1/3/2012
    BFP 5/21/2013 MC 5/24/2013
    BFP 7/16/2013 EDD 3/27/2014
  • Just reread your post. Can the new baby sleep in your room for a while, then transition to sharing a room once he/she is sleeping more at night?

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

DD 1/3/2012
    BFP 5/21/2013 MC 5/24/2013
    BFP 7/16/2013 EDD 3/27/2014
  • We just put dd into a twin bed this week. So far so good. I think she likes that she has more room
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker .facebook_-966822808 IMG00064-20101108-0836 20120901_120106 BabyFruit Ticker
  • @jenalena I've also got a babe on the way due in Jan2014. We just started this week working on a toddler bed. I think overall you just have to make the decision if you want 2 cribs. DS is doing great with his bed so far. Honestly the first few times were a little tricky, but now he mostly stays in the bed. 

I personally just didn't want to have to buy a second crib. You could keep her in a crib until 3+ but its totally a personal choice. My goal was to have DS transitioned and comfortable well before this next babe made an appearance. Good luck!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I've always tried to keep the kids in their crib for as long as possible. DS had no interest in getting out. He made it till 4. DD was a little over 2. She shared a room with DS and learned how to climb out. We plan to keep #3 in the crib until she starts looking like she's trying to get out. Then we will change the crib to a toddler bed. We had a friend give us an extra crib when I had #2 we that was one of the reasons why we didn't put a big kid bed for #1
    Robin - CO Mod * RP & JHutch Lover * Hufflepuff
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Books read in 2013: ~ Audiobooks listened to in 2013: 3
    Currently reading: The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
    Currently listening to: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf) image
  • When Cordelia was born our son, Cedric was 2 years 5 months old.  I had switched him to a toddler bed prior to her being born...actually at like 17 months.  Then we kept her in our room for the first 5-6 months then put her in his room (we only have 2 bedrooms).  They still share a room and it is working out great!  She is now in the toddler bed and him a regular bed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"