VBAC
Options

Did you switch from a good OB, just to get your VBAC?

I have had 2 c/s already so my OB won't do them at all. But I called my hospital and was told they have actually seen some OBs do them there. So now I'm looking for those OBs and considering a switch just to have the option. I love my OB, too, and it's such a professional office. Latest equipment, great response to problems, etc. I feel like I'm nuts even thinking about switching from them, but I am SO disappointed about not getting the option to try for a VBA2C. I had a fluke first c/s and an elective one next, after still feeling upset about the first time around, and lacking the confidence to try. But I'm healthy, in great shape, and having the easiest pregnancy yet. I am just afraid i will always regret not trying for a VBA2C!
Expecting Baby #3 to complete our family. 
I have an adventurous 2 Year Old Toddler Boy & thoughtful 4 Year Old LIttle Girl! 
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
photo 172b031e-21cf-454e-ae3f-ea3666c05af5.jpg

photo BellyProgressionForSignature-32wks.jpg

Re: Did you switch from a good OB, just to get your VBAC?

• Options
    I switched and that OB was actually willing to let me try for a VBAC! She was great, the office was good, etc, but I felt like when push came to shove in the end, she'd push me toward c-section.  So I talked to some people, did some Internet research and found an OB who's very VBAC friendly. I felt bad for switching, but am more confident in my chances now. You do what you need to do!
    Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I know, I'm going to feel awful for switching! But it doesn't make sense to have surgery just because I don't want to hurt my OB's feelings, even though I feel that way. :(
    I have an adventurous 2 Year Old Toddler Boy & thoughtful 4 Year Old LIttle Girl! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

You can always go back to her for well-woman care.

Is it a hospital policy issue? I'm assuming you've talked to her about it already. It's definitely worth pursuing, you know? Good luck!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    I have no hesitation to find a care provider who will support the choices I've studied to be safe. VBA2C is an option as per ACOG for many women, and OBs should not deny them across the board. I heartily encourage women took around and ask around for a better provider - they're out there. 
  • Options
    I switched midwives and hospitals for my VBAC.  My original midwives were supportive but the hospital where they delivered would not allow them to attend VBACs, only the OBs (who were not supportive).  I love my CNM and she was awesome with my VBAC.  Even though the hospital I moved to was considered a "less desirable" hospital in the area, I have no regrets.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    I would never stay with an OB and sacrifice my chance to VBAC just because they are a "good OB". You can always go back to them or care afterward or you may very well find a new OB who you love just as much.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have 3 appointments next week to have consultations with OBs who will consider VBA2C on a case by case basis. They all deliver at my hospital. I'm nervous. I hope at least one of these meetings goes well!

• Options
    SoMoNYSoMoNY member

Switched to a midwife program to help avoid a repeat c-sect

• Options

imageJoy+BabyNumber3:
    I have 3 appointments next week to have consultations with OBs who will consider VBA2C on a case by case basis. They all deliver at my hospital. I'm nervous. I hope at least one of these meetings goes well!

Let us know what happens!

• Options
    kegkeg member

imageRumbleLina:
    I would never stay with an OB and sacrifice my chance to VBAC just because they are a "good OB". You can always go back to them or care afterward or you may very well find a new OB who you love just as much.

Yeah this. I switched OBs because I knew that even though my previous OBs said they'd support a VBAC, I knew that push comes to shove, they would love to steer me to a RCS, and would likely put enough restrictions on it that I wouldn't be able to VBAC.  I switched to an amazing OB who I knew was truly supportive of VBACs.  I can't tell you how nice it was to go into labor without fear that I was potentially gearing up for a fight with a provider. 

2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• Options

I love my ob, but I did my research to see his vbac friendliness before I got pregnant again.  Fortunately, he was very vbac supportive, the only supportive doctor at my hospital.  

good luck! 

• Options
    I am glad you asked this and to read the responses....I too really like my OB, and they say they are vbac friendly...but I am getting the feeling when push comes to shove they are going to try to steer towards a repeat CS for LGA....

I think I just may finally call tomorrow for that second opinion at a new office!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Its great to read your responses. I don't know anyone who has switched to have the option, and I'm getting nervous. 

My first appointment is Monday morning - and then Tuesday and then Friday. So by the end of the week, I hope to know if one of these Doctors will take my case as a VBAC, and if I like them, too.

I can't believe how nervous I am going into this!  I think it's because there's the perspective that it's too risky to try, so I feel like I shouldn't even ask...but then I read a lot about it being unnecessary surgery for "some" women and it's putting my body at risk NOT to try for a VBAC. Sigh...

Anyhow - I will let you know what happens! :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"