Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

My D&C experience

Hello - I just wanted to share my experience with the D&C as reading everyone else's stories really helped me!  

How we found out pregnancy was not viable:  At our first ultrasound, the doc saw everything but a heartbeat and told me there was a 50-50 chance.  2 weeks later had another ultrasound that showed no change.  They tested my beta's which were still rising.  1 week later, they sent me to a radiology center with better equipment and doc said the same thing.  No change.  The baby died at 6w3d.   So basically, after all that time - my body was not getting the point and I was showing no signs of miscarriage.  I decided on the D&C because the medicine option scared me and knowing my luck, I wouldn't pass everything and I would end up getting the D&C anyway!  I told the doc to schedule the D&C and the first opening was a week from that day.  The wait was the worst part!

The D&C was performed by my OB at a local hospital.  No eating or drinking after midnight the night before.  I had to get there 2 hours before my appointment to fill out paperwork and go through prep.  This was by far the worst part ever as I was extremely nervous.  It was really scary for me to step onto the OR floor and see everything - it became so real.  I cried because I was so scared.   Nurses, anesthesia guy, more nurses and doctor all came in and asked the same questions and explained what they were going to do.  I was going to be put to sleep through an IV in my hand.  They gave me something in my IV that made me feel drunk.  They wheeled me into the OR and I was so scared as I saw all the machines and how many nurses were in there (seriously like 8-10 people).  They made me move onto the table and they strapped my arms in.  And the next thing I knew, I was waking up in recovery.  Crying again (honestly because I was relieved it was over).  They brought husband back in and I drank a ginger ale. I recovered quickly and got dressed and went pee (ouch).  It still burns quite a bit to pee, so I'm hoping that goes away tomorrow. After I left the hospital, we went to Subway for lunch as I was starving and then I took a nice nap.  As of now, I'm having very little bleeding and next to no pain.  I'm taking regular Tylenol as needed.  The procedure was nothing, it was the building up to it that was terrible and those few hours of waiting at the hospital.  I'm relieved it's over so now I can start to recover mentally.  I feel like a huge weight has lifted off my shoulders.  

If you are reading this and need to get it done, please don't worry.  It sounds much worse than it really is.  Be strong and be brave! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: My D&C experience

• Options
    Thank you for sharing. Just scheduled mine for Thursday and it is comforting to read about the entire experience. I have never had any type of anesthesia, so I am starting to get anxious. Hearing your story helps me to be prepared for what to face during the various parts of the day. 
  • Options

Good luck to you!  I never been put under either, so that's mostly what I was scared about.  It was very very easy - I didn't feel a thing!

I was most anxious when I got home from work on Monday as I knew surgery was the next day.  I FREAKED out and pretty sure I even had a panic attack.  I can reassure you that it's going to be scary seeing everything, but there really is no need to be scared.  I cannot stress that enough!

Let us know how it goes! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing your experience with us.  I'm waiting to have mine today...we have to be at the hospital in about 4 hours.  I think I'm in the same boat as you, the prospect of being under for the first time ever and waiting and seeing all the nurses and equipment will be the scariest part, and being away from my husband...  Thanks for sharing, and while I'm sad you had to go through it at all, I'm glad you can now rest.  Hugs to you as you continue to heal physically and emotionally.
    Began trying for a baby January 2012
    BFP 4.25.2013  EDD 1.3.2014  MMC 6.3.2013  D&C 6.19.2013
    BFP 11.3.2013  CP 11.6.2013
    BFP 3.31.2014 EDD 12.10.2014 Baby boy Carlson born 12.19.2014 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"