October 2012 Moms
Options

expectations

Does anyone have someone whether is be a parent, in law, DH, or friend that expects you to do more for them then is possible? I feel like lately 2 ppl in particular are like this in my life. I am a very giving person and love helping others out. So for me to feel as if someone is asking way to much means it has to be quite a bit.  They are both members of my family. 1 seems as if everything  she does she needs to double check to be sure that I think it is alright. Even if it is something as simple as the brand of spaghetti sauce she is using for a family gathering. The other thinks that because I have the summers off that I have all the time int he word and that I just sit on my butt and watch tv and play on the computer. Just feeling overwhelmed by it all.

Thanks for listening. Off to work on some writing with my DD while LO is napping.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: expectations

• Options

Of course!  I think everyone's got those.  Seems to happen more once you get married/have babies/progress in your career, etc.  Happens to me a lot with my single/without child friends who don't understand the time constraints and the simply just wanting to spend my free time with my family.

My take - the one that needs approval on everything, values your opinion.  Which is flattering but also annoying.  Maybe try building their confidence.  Next time they ask your opinion..."oh, wow, that's a really great idea, I never thought of that!".  might help them leave you alone a little bit.  If all else fails, say "hey, it seems like you're always looking for my approval.   but you always already have the right idea, trust yourself more"

- the one that thinks you sit on your toosh all the time, let them know that you don't!  maybe subtly bring up all the things you've been doing (for example, writing with your DD like you said).  Of course those of us that don't have summers off envy those that do, but to assume they don't do anything is stupid.

Hope this helps  :)

• Options

My father has very unrealistic expectations about what I should be able to do since I am a SAHM.  Of course he's just a jerk.

I think my ILs have unrealistic expectations for what things will be like when DH comes home.  I realize it's not fun to think about our girls struggling to accept their own father but it's stupid to expect both of them to go right to him.  I mean the baby has never met him.  It's going to take time.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Dani good to hear from you!

I think this is normal. I know I am a pretty big disappointment to my parents careerwise... 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"