Georgia Babies
Options

Nanny share

I'm interested from hearing from other people who have done a nanny share to find out how you worked some of the logistics. I'm talking with another family about doing this - they currently have a 6 week old and I am expecting in a couple months. We would be doing 2 days at their home and 2 days at our home. The children would be approximately 5 months and 2-3 months when the nanny share would start - how do people work things like places for the kids to sleep when at the other person's house? Any other things people learned from a nanny share they would want to pass on?

Thanks! 

Re: Nanny share

• Options
    I don't know a lot about details but a close friend of mine did the same thing. They did one month at a time at each house so they didn't have to haul the baby stuff back and forth. The two babies were exactly the same distance apart as yours are and it worked out great! 
  • Options

I've been the nanny in similar nanny shares and some worked out, some didn't.  Mainly, the parents need to agree on some basics like sleep schedules (or no schedules) TV, discipline when they get old enough, rules, nanny driving with babies, where they can go, what they can eat and drink, etc.  If the parents aren'e in agreement it is a nightmare for everyone! Plus if these things haven't been discussed well in advance, in a respectful way, friendships can be damaged. 

In the situations where the parents were on the same page, have set clear and consistent boundaries, and communicated often, it was a beautiful thing. 

As for logistics, you set up your own pack n play in your own home for the visiting child to sleep in, that way you have your stuff where you need it and can treat it the way you want.  You each buy a space saver high chair for the other child, and keep multiple changes of clothing at the other family's home, as well as a large quantity of diapers, wipes, sheets, paci's, etc...Keep things in labeled boxes or bins, and the nanny is in charge of letting the families know when supplies are getting low.  The main thing is, you do not want to be carting things back on forth each day, you are bound to forget something and borrowing will get on most people's nerves.  

Also, coming from a nanny's point of view, caring for multiple infants from different families is a tough thing.  You can't expect the same type of cleaning, cooking, etc... as you would in a single family situation.  The good ones will clean up after themselves and the babies, maybe do the kids' laundry, and on a good day unload your dishwasher, but cut her some slack, especially once the babies are mobile!

Good luck!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"