March 2012 Moms

Random ? Smart watches?

Has anyone been following the smart watch market? DH's birthday is the 30th so I am trying to come up with a fun gift. I am trying to decide between the pebble or Martian victory watches or a grill. Thoughts?
image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Random ? Smart watches?

• My cousin's best friend started up the Martian watch company. And my cousin even quit her job as a social worker for the elderly to work for Martian watches. So my two cents is a little biased.

I say go for the watch. It's different and unique and sounds like your DH would like it, otherwise it wouldn't be an option. A grill sounds like a great Father's Day gift idea...for the future. Plus, some men would like to pick the one they like out. No element of surprise.

One more, your DH will be more likely to think about you when he looks at his watch than a slab of meat. LOL!!
    Married my best friend ~ May 31, 2008
    Adopted our furbaby Kona ~ January 17, 2010
    Trying to grow our family ~ June 2010

1st BFP 7.6.10 ~ EDD 3.15.11 ~ mmc 8.6.10 ~ d&c 8.11.10
    2nd BFP 11.4.10 ~ EDD 7.15.11 ~ HB 6w3d ~ No HB 7w ~ mmc 12.8.10 ~ d&c 12.9.10
    3rd BFP 7.12.11 ~ EDD 3.22.12 ~ HB 6w5d 124 bpm ~ Team Green ~ 
    SHE STUCK!
    4th BFP 6.20.13 ~ EDD 3.1.14 ~ HB 7w5d 153 bpm ~ A/S revealed due date possibly 2.23
    *~*~*~*EXPECT MIRACLES*~*~*~*
    Praying for peace in God's ultimate plan ~ "Be still and know that I am God." -Psalm 46:10

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Haha good points. My biggest concern with the Martian watches is that the part that displays notifications looks like it is so small it wouldn't be that helpful. They are nice looking though!
    image image

• Loading the player...
  • Let me ask my cousin about that....
    Married my best friend ~ May 31, 2008
    Adopted our furbaby Kona ~ January 17, 2010
    Trying to grow our family ~ June 2010

1st BFP 7.6.10 ~ EDD 3.15.11 ~ mmc 8.6.10 ~ d&c 8.11.10
    2nd BFP 11.4.10 ~ EDD 7.15.11 ~ HB 6w3d ~ No HB 7w ~ mmc 12.8.10 ~ d&c 12.9.10
    3rd BFP 7.12.11 ~ EDD 3.22.12 ~ HB 6w5d 124 bpm ~ Team Green ~ 
    SHE STUCK!
    4th BFP 6.20.13 ~ EDD 3.1.14 ~ HB 7w5d 153 bpm ~ A/S revealed due date possibly 2.23
    *~*~*~*EXPECT MIRACLES*~*~*~*
    Praying for peace in God's ultimate plan ~ "Be still and know that I am God." -Psalm 46:10

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • WipzWipz member
    imagecarrieandtim:
    My cousin's best friend started up the Martian watch company. And my cousin even quit her job as a social worker for the elderly to work for Martian watches. So my two cents is a little biased. I say go for the watch. It's different and unique and sounds like your DH would like it, otherwise it wouldn't be an option. A grill sounds like a great Father's Day gift idea...for the future. Plus, some men would like to pick the one they like out. No element of surprise. One more, your DH will be more likely to think about you when he looks at his watch than a slab of meat. LOL!!
      You would hope Wink
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have never heard of this. What is it exactly?
  • They are watches that connect to your phone and display notifications so you don't have to pull your phone out and look at it.. so sitting in a meeting you can decide if you need to excuse yourself and answer the phone.  I would love this to know if daycare is calling, but my company is pretty casual, so I just pull out my phone when it rings (on vibrate of course).

Pebble is more geeky - think ipod nano on a watch.  It toutes that you can run apps which will do useful stuff like measure the distance you ran or do a sleep analysis. (but the apps are proprietary - not Apple apps). The face is entirely digital, and you can choose between several different digital clock displays. It also does caller ID and displays texts and notifications. It is waterproof for swimming, not diving.

Martian watches are more traditional looking - think *** Tracy.  They have the old school looking dial with a smaller area on the bottom of the face that can scroll caller ID,  texts and notifications.  It also works as a bluetooth speaker when connected to your phone, but I read that it is not that practical because you actually have to keep your wrist pretty close to your mouth.. so not really an improvement over just pulling your phone out. 

Sony made one too but it gets terrible reviews. 

Industry news and trends points to them becoming much more popular in the next couple years, especially with other wearable computers (google glass) coming out soon. 

image image

• Fascinating! I was envisioning those Casio calculator watches from when I was little.
  • imagelisadfox:
    Fascinating! I was envisioning those Casio calculator watches from when I was little.

Those were pretty cool in a nerdy way, but I don't think DH would be amused.  I just noticed that ***** was blocked. heh. Didn't even think about it when I typed. 

image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"