Food & Nutrition

Peanut free question

Sorry if this is the dumbest question ever asked, but I want to make sure I don't do something bad and potentially dangerous to other kids.

My DD is starting day care in a couple of weeks.  She will bring her own lunch and snacks, and the DC center is peanut free.  DD has been taking PB&J for lunch to her current babysitter's, and that will obviously have to change, so I'm trying to sort out what she can take for lunch/snacks.

What other nuts, in addition to peanuts, do I need to avoid?  Can she bring almond butter?  Hazelnut nutella?  Muffins with walnuts or pistachios in them?  Please school me on peanut allergies so I don't break any DC rules.  Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Peanut free question

• imageEmpireMomof3:

Did the DC give a specific list of nuts? or just say peanuts?

Maybe give them a ring and see what the stipulations are.

They just say peanuts.  You're right, I guess I'll call.  I thought she said at the meeting we had with the director that nutella was okay, but I don't really know much about peanut allergies, so I don't know what's okay and what isn't.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Peanuts aren't actually nuts, they're legumes. Most other nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc.) are tree nuts and aren't related to peanuts at all. Usually people with peanut allergies are okay with tree nuts. So you should be okay with other nuts, unless the restrictions include things processed in peanut oil- sometimes cashews are roasted in peanut oil. But it's always good to clarify that kind of policy! :)

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Great question and thank you for caring. My DH has the peanut allergy and OMG i SOOO miss a good ol' P&J sandwich.

Basically for us, we just avoid EVERYTHING and anything with peanuts. I have almond butter and Nutella at home. We love all tree nuts. Peanuts are not a tree nut. They are a swamp nut and grow in the ground like a potatoe.

We eat - walnuts, pecans, pistachios etc. just not resses, nuter butter etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • You should probably call and and ask if they are "peanut free" or "tree nut free". A lot of people get this wrong (the school might even!) and if its "tree nut free" it will limit a lot more of your food choices.

Honestly, it really is the daycare/schools responsibility to educate you all about it. Its wonderful that you are reaching out...many parents get in an uproar over it because their kid "only eats peanut butter". 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 6.19.11 ~ EDD 2.23.12 ~ CP on 6.22.11
    BFP #2 7.23.11 ~ EDD 3.28.12 ~ MC on 8.16.11
    BFP #3 11.17.11~ EDD 7.31.12 ~ MC on 1.18.12
    BFP #4 4.12.12 ~ EDD 12.25.12~ Born on 12.26.12
  • klyannklyann member

If it is just Peanut Free, then tree nuts are fine.  But also make sure you read labels as many products will say "may contain traces of peanuts" Which are not safe for peanut allergy folks.  

I couldn't believe how many foods will say this.  Including other nut butters!

DD's Food Allergies: Peanuts and Rice, Outgrown Dairy!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

8/09 Dx PCOS & Hashimoto's
    BFP #2 12/13/11. Missed M/C at 11w5d, measured 8w6d. D&C 2/1/12
    Never in my arms, but always in my heart.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"