Two Under 2
Options

Is this normal for a 22 month old

My ds will be 22 months old on the 19th and is not very verbal yet and tonight he got very frustrated at the fact that he was unable to communicate his needs to us so he has been hitting his head against things such as the bath tub and floor. Is this normal for his age?
Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is this normal for a 22 month old

• Options
    I wouldn't say normal, no. It's likely not anything severely wrong but its worth discussing with your pedi. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DS does this too sometimes, he is 20 months old. The pedi said it is normal for them to do that and throw tantrums when they aren't very verbal.
    TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It can be normal, but I would definitely get him evaluated for speech/language. It's super frustrating for kids not to be able to express themselves, especially at 22 months, and he would probably really benefit from some extra help. If you call your local school district, they will do an eval and provide services for free- in my school district they can have someone come to your house or daycare so it's really easy and comfortable for your LO. 
    IMG_0663
  • Options

My DD is 21mos, and is fairly verbal but she still does this when she gets really mad. For her its more of a reaction when she doesnt get what she wants, she will lay on the floor crying, and look to see if we are watching and if she catches our eye she hits her head with her hand or on the floor. Our pedi told us it was normal, and she wouldnt hit herself hard enough to really hurt herself.

Good luck!

I'm not hungry, I'm HUUUNNNNNGGGRRRRRYYYY! NOW!

Dec 2014 Dec Siggy, Free For All

Big E- 2008

Miss M- 2011

Baby Z- 2012

Baby Smoosh, Due Dec 2014

• Options
    imagekcbv123:
    It can be normal, but I would definitely get him evaluated for speech/language. It's super frustrating for kids not to be able to express themselves, especially at 22 months, and he would probably really benefit from some extra help. If you call your local school district, they will do an eval and provide services for free in my school district they can have someone come to your house or daycare so it's really easy and comfortable for your LO.nbsp;

His pedi said she isn't worried but will look into speech therapy after his 2 year well baby appointment. He does have some words he was really really tired and hungry all that the same time is what it all came down to.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"