VBAC
Options

try to labor at home?

as long as possible?  I really want to go for a vbac, but am worried that I will go to the hospital, they will; make me lie down and attach all the machines and then it will lead to a csection.

My first was scheduled due to size, my son was almost 10 pounds and this one most likely will be too, but I really want to try.

Also, generally with larger babies do they need to use forceps or the vacuum? my ob said she wouldn't want to use these interventions and do a csection if the vbac wasn't smooth.

Re: try to labor at home?

• Options

My OB strongly recommends that I am at the hospital as soon as I am in labor. Her biggest concern though is that I am only going to be 18 months between deliveries and that I could rupture.

I have yet to experience labor as LO1 was a planned CS so I may be singing a different tune once I get contractions, but I plan on heading into the hospital when I feel ready to go in.

"What are you having?" "Well the radiologist says its a healthy little human baby. I'm a little disappointed, because I really wanted a puppy." LOL
  • Options
    I labored at home (though not by choice, hospital sent me home saying I was in false labor and went back to drs office an hour later dilated ten cm). It almost resulted in a home birth which was terrifying and I had to take an ambulance to the hospital and didn't have time to get any meds before delivery. That being said, I do think if I had labored at hospital then it would have likely resulted in another section but obviously I was very lucky there were no complications. I would definitely not labor at home next time, even if hospital tried to kick me out again ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure if I hadn't labored at home I would've ended up with another section. Being able to move around freely and eat/drink when I wanted was nice. I showed up at the hospital 8cm. I should add, my provider was not very supportive.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Also, being able to move around in labor helps get baby in the best position. :)
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I was told to come in when I was in "full-blown" labor by my MW. I showed up pushing (which I sorta wanted to happen, but it would have been less stressful if I had shown up a bit earlier...)

Like JenRN, I ignored contractions as long as I could - stayed upright, ate and carried on with my day even though I knew I was having regular contractions. I had a doula, and it helped me to be able to talk to someone who wasn't a MW or pressuring me to go into the hospital. Don't know if that's an option for you.

Also, if you're expecting a larger baby, then staying upright is a good idea anyway. Forceps or vacuum isn't a requirement of macrosomic babies, They're used when delivery is stalled for whatever reason.

And FWIW, my VBAC baby was 10.5 lbs. VBAC with big babies does happen. Good luck!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    skioskio member
    My doctor has the same rules for me this time as last; painful, regular contractions five minutes apart for an hour means go to hospital. He did mention at one point that he wants me in the hospital for "the majority of active labor."

I, frankly, don't care what he wants. I trust him but I take his advice with a grain of salt so as to make the best decisions for myself and to avoid medical intervention at all cost. I labored for 8 hours first time and showed up at the hospital at 2cm; way too early. I plan to stay home much longe this time and I also have a doula who will be helping me decide when it's time. I hope to show up between 6 and 8cm. I'm already dilated 3 to 4 without labor, so things are looking good.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Hey there. Don't let the doctors scare you into going in early. The chance of rupture is very small and also counts those who ruptured because of the use of induction medications after a C-section before they realized it caused ruptures.  Do what you want and listen to your body.  I am having my baby this time at home because I was pushed into inductions with my son that led to a csection and as they say "failure to progresss". My midwives are fully supportive of me having my vbac at home, try to talk to your ob and be honest and firm in what you want and if they aren't supportive or try to use scare tactics, find a different provider that will. Just my opinion of course. Hope it works out for you : )
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"