Intro and International Registry Question — The Bump
International Bumpies

Intro and International Registry Question

Hello, hello!  I have been lurking for two months, and thought that at 12 weeks along I would finally get chatting.   I am originally from Florida, now living in Vancouver,  Canada and I love it here.

My husband's family is in Canada, but all of my family is still in the States. I wonder if any of you have experience with baby registries that allow you to add items across different websites. 

Obviously,  the retail options can differ between these two countries, but I am more concerned about getting dinged at customs on these gifts.  This would be so much easier if Amazon.ca was half as massive (and well-priced) as Amazon in the U.S. 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! 

Re: Intro and International Registry Question

• I believe that if an item is sent as a gift then the customs rules are different.

Also, make sure that you purchase your carseats in canada because the laws are different.

Good luck with everything! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Can Americans shop at babiesrus.ca and just have the items delivered to you?  Good luck.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not sure how your customs works, but ours can be crazy! (Sometimes more than 50% the declared value. Gahh!)

FWIW, I decided to do a registry in the US with all stuff that's easy to put in a suitcase. Then we did one online only registry (Amazon.uk) that allows you to add other stuff from UK stores that will still deliver to Belgium. And we did a local store registry. They can purchase it online but we have to physically pick it up.

Sounds like we're due around the same time (congrats!) so I don't actually know how it's all going to work out yet. Good luck deciding what to do!

______________________________________________________________________________

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Trying to conceive #2
    Me: 36 - slight DOR (AMH: 1.1), decent OAR; DH: 41 - Morphology 4%
    NTNP July-Aug 2014, ATTC Sept 2014-Present
    October 2014 - CP
    July 2015 - Clomid + #1 IUI = BFN
    September 2015 - Clomid + #2 IUI = CP
    October 2015 - Letrozole (5 follies - yay!) + #3 IUI = BFN
    November 2015 - CP
    December 2015 - CP
    February 2016 - Letrozole + #4 IUI = CP
    April 2016 - CP
    May/June 2016 - IVF #1 and IUI #5 (Estrace + Follistim + micro-hCG + HGH) = BFN

Struggled to conceive #1 2012-2013
    Me: Chronic Pain Condition since 2009, DH: Slightly Abnormal SA
    Clomid #1: March 2013 - BFN; Clomid + IUI: May 2013 CXL; BFP on 4/22/13 = Baby Boy #1 1/1/14

• Thanks, ladies!  Congrats to you, too, @adunkin!

• image OhBaby+2013:
    Can Americans shop at babiesrus.ca and just have the items delivered to you?  Good luck.
    Yes. Same with Sears and a few of the independent stores like Snugglebugz and West Coast Kids. There is no registry consolidation like registry.com, if that's what you're wondering.

If you find anything you like on JCP, I find them to be reasonable for clothes, and smaller baby items. And Next. You're going to get dinged here for gear no matter what you do, because even if you find an awesome deal on a stroller, the shipping is going to kill the savings. And car seats have to be bought here.

• I did something similar to adunkin. I registered in the US for stuff that we could bring back in a suitcase with us (albeit a large extra suitcase!). Didn't want to deal with international shipping or customs, though I imagine Canada would be a little easier. 

BTW, adunkin, I love your wedding photo and dress. Where is it?  

Cape Town, South Africa Pregnancy Ticker
  • image Potato Pie:

I did something similar to adunkin. I registered in the US for stuff that we could bring back in a suitcase with us (albeit a large extra suitcase!). Didn't want to deal with international shipping or customs, though I imagine Canada would be a little easier. 

BTW, adunkin, I love your wedding photo and dress. Where is it?  

Aw thanks! The dress is J Crew Wedding and the location is in southern Italy, San Marco di Castellabate to be exact. :)

______________________________________________________________________________

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Trying to conceive #2
    Me: 36 - slight DOR (AMH: 1.1), decent OAR; DH: 41 - Morphology 4%
    NTNP July-Aug 2014, ATTC Sept 2014-Present
    October 2014 - CP
    July 2015 - Clomid + #1 IUI = BFN
    September 2015 - Clomid + #2 IUI = CP
    October 2015 - Letrozole (5 follies - yay!) + #3 IUI = BFN
    November 2015 - CP
    December 2015 - CP
    February 2016 - Letrozole + #4 IUI = CP
    April 2016 - CP
    May/June 2016 - IVF #1 and IUI #5 (Estrace + Follistim + micro-hCG + HGH) = BFN

Struggled to conceive #1 2012-2013
    Me: Chronic Pain Condition since 2009, DH: Slightly Abnormal SA
    Clomid #1: March 2013 - BFN; Clomid + IUI: May 2013 CXL; BFP on 4/22/13 = Baby Boy #1 1/1/14

• Could you have items shipped to a family member and then they ship to you? Again not exactly sure how Canadian customs goes.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

photo ebefb0eaa35edfa3f52813f152b6e390_zpsaa90560f.jpg

• image aeterhune:
    Could you have items shipped to a family member and then they ship to you? Again not exactly sure how Canadian customs goes.
    Pretty much anything can come through, with only a few exceptions, like car seats and baby walkers. This method means the receiver will pay tax and duty if the arv is over the daily limit.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards