Eco-Friendly Family
Options

DIY baby food question - spices??

So I'm thinking (way) ahead towards making own baby food.  Two questions:

1. Does anyone put spices in with the food? Why or why not?

2. What is your favorite blender/processor?

Re: DIY baby food question - spices??

• Options
    I always used spices because the girls ate what we ate. I had a small Cuisinart we used with my first but we did BLWing with the second.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

1) Of course!  Do you like your food bland and unseasoned?  I also think it can help avoid kids' getting stuck in an eating rut where they one want to eat a few things all the time - exposure to more flavors and textures and everything from a young age is good.

2) I'm not sure what kind my food processor is, but it's one of those blender/food processor combos.  It worked fine for making DD purees when she was a baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I usually lurk here but we always added spices.  My twins LOVED cord with fresh dill, and now we add fresh chives to their scrambled eggs.  I use a lot of onion in my cooking, so I used onion powder in my purees.

I used a Cuisinart blender, that is it, nothing fancy.

Picture3-3.jpg

Our Twin Baby + a Big Girl Blog

And with the delivery trifecra of one twin vaginal, one c-section with general anesthesia for twin B, Spencer and Sidney joined us at 35 weeks exactly on June 18.

• Options
    Thanks for asking this question! I've wondered about this as well.
  • Options
    We don't use spices, but we do put in fresh herbs from the garden.
    Lilypie - (KUub)  Lilypie - (x7FR)

Daisypath - (cVUA)   Daisypath - (CnD8)

• Options

We used a lot of spices, too. We did mostly BLW but would add cinnamon and nutmeg to apples or pear sauces. I also always add pepper, garlic, and cayenne to eggs. Basil and curry have also been a hit... I dont think that you need to avoid anything... really only honey until age 1!

• Options

We did BLW.  She much prefers food with spices/herbs etc though.

Avoid honey and too much salt.

• Options
    Avoid salt and honey

My mom just blended up dinner for my baby food and I often got a little red pepper or jalapeno in mine (not too much cause mom didn't like it too spicy). I plan on avoiding that for my DD though b/c of her reflux. I grew up loving spicy flavors!
  • Options
    I would use cinnamon or curry occasionally for variety. No added salt or honey, as others have said.

I used a Cuisinart immersion blended that I bought off Amazon. It was the most economical ($36) at the time since I knew I'd use it for soups and smoothies too. I absolutely love it!
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"