Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

feel like the worst mom! DS swallowed stud earring

We are on vacation in St. John and the resort had no extra high chairs.. no big deal, DS has been eating standing up while hanging out or while sitting on the couch. Last night I left my diamond stud earrings on the side table near the couch, this morning at breakfast he was by the table where I was sitting... I heard something in his mouth and sounded like his Cheerios he had been crunching on.... I went to give him another bite of pancake and he swallowed what was in his mouth by instinct.... he stared crying and you could tell he was in pain.... that is when I looked and realized he had just swallowed my earring!!! It is not a small diamond and the post is kinda long, I felt horrible!!! Pediatrician said to watch him and if he seems in pain to head to ER... so of course every fuss makes me nervous!! He has been acting as normal as a toddler does, eating fine etc. I am just so on edge until he passes it! If your LO has swallowed something, how long did it take to pass? I have filled him with prunes to keep things moving through! Also, those with LO's that don't really ever put things into their mouths.... it can still happen!

Re: feel like the worst mom! DS swallowed stud earring

• Options

Trust me, you've got a LONG way to go if you think you're the ''worst mom''. You are doing great, and it was your observation skills that picked up on there being something wrong, your child could be in no better hands. Smile

If you're filling him up with prunes you should see results in less than 24 hours, but I am no medical expert. 

"What are you having?" "Well the radiologist says its a healthy little human baby. I'm a little disappointed, because I really wanted a puppy." LOL
  • Options
    Oh no! How scary! NOT the worst mom ever. That could happen to anyone!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    A friend's baby recently the a wood screw!  She took him to the hospital but was told to just watch for it to come out.  I think it took 3 days or so for the screw to pass.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Options
    A friend's baby recently swallowed a wood screw!  She took him to the hospital but was told to just watch for it to come out.  I think it took 3 days or so for the screw to pass.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Options
    DS almost swallowed a penny but we got it from the back of his mouth in the nick of time! It could happen to anyone, I'm sure LO will be just fine. My brother swallowed a penny when he was a toddler. It happens a lot with children actually. I would feel bad too, but it will make for a good story when LO is a teen lol
    image image image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh my gosh! For sure let us know how it turns out and how long it takes for the earring to come out!
  • Options

The fact that you know where your earring is means you aren't the worst mom ever.

That would freak me out, too though. I hope it passes soon. I would think you are doing exactly the right thing to speed up the process.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

• Options
    This almost happened to us last week. I took out my earrings and put them on our ottoman, in a tray. They were there only for a few minutes and I was watching LO the whole time. I went back to get them after I had put him to bed and one was missing. My husband and I tore up the living room looking for it. I even went and sw eeped his mouth while he was sleeping. Luckily, we found it under the couch. So he had managed to get ahold of it and knocked it under there. And I thought I was watching him so close! I felt like such an idiot! But I realized how quickly they can get into things without us noticing.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Do not feel like a bad mom! DS hasn't eaten anything like that yet but I know of two kids who have eaten a penny and it came out the other end just fine - no issues! I know my brother ate a ton of crap when he was little and he survived. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Our update is it came out this morning (so about 48 hours)!! No pain at all, I am so relieved... but VERY gross to clean off! If it was fake I would just throw it away!
  • Options
    My brother swallowed a screw when he was about 4 or 5.  The doctors had my parents give him lots and lots of white bread.  It will fill up his tummy and kind of create a little pillow around the earring and help soften the ends as it comes out.  You'll want to make sure it comes out, so that entails the not-so-fun job of checking for it, lol!  Good luck.  You're not a terrible mom!  
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

If your son is constantly putting stuff in his mouth like my daughter is, than you are doing the best you can!

DD is putting EVERYTHING in her mouth, fuzz, crumbs, books, paper, lint, SEASHELLS-- omg I have 3 shells in her baby  book that I fished out of her mouth at her first beach outing...

He ate an earring. No worries. It's always the millisecond you look away they eat something.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"