School-Aged Children

The sex talk....

My 7 yr old b/g twins know that egg meets sperm and a baby is made.  They recently asked about how they join together.  I said the man puts his penis in the woman's vagina.  They said that was gross and it was the end of the conversation.

Going forward for more in depth discussion about how their bodies will be changing, puberty, etc, how should DH and I handle it? All 4 sit down together and go over things generally? I talk to DD and DH talks to DS? I want the kids to understand what both boys and girls are going through and to be able to ask questions to either DH or I.

Thoughts?

Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD

Re: The sex talk....

• When I was a kid, I never talked about "that stuff" with my dad.  My mom handled all of that with my sister and I.

In my own family we try to have conversations about sex/puberty/values with both parents present.  It has worked out well so far.  DH and I don't exactly mark our calendars and plan to have THE talk on a certain day.  But the kids have tended to ask questions when we've both been around, and we have just answered their questions and talked about whatever they wanted to know.

However, we also try to make sure we spend some time one on one with each kid. That way, if they have questions that they feel more comfortable asking just one of us, they have a chance.

Sometimes DD (7th grade) will follow up on a conversation with just me.  I tend to be the "go to" parent for feminine hygiene and bras, while she talks to her dad more about boys she has a crush on -- makes sense.  DS is a different type of kid.  He's more complacent, and we have to draw more questions out of him.

We just kind of play it by ear. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • ppantsppants member
    Thanks for your replies. Puberty, sex, and the like will absolutely be an ongoing conversation.  I just want to be prepared (as much as I can be) with a game plan.  I will check out the book recs.  Thank you!
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"