Pre-School and Daycare

Re: (Untitled)

• imagehocus:

If you child will be 5 this year won't she be going to K next fall? I'm aware that cut offs var but I've never heard of a 6 year old cut off in the states.

Anyway transitions are rough. I'm going through this now. Of course you would work with the teachers and director but fundamentally I think you should make it clear that you accept and understand her emotions while making it clear that HOW she is expressing them is not acceptable. 

The cut off is Sept 1, so we miss it by a month.  ANd I just realized it should be fall of 2014 - she'll be going NEXT fall, not this fall.  Good call. 

And thank you for your words, shes such a strong kid that I forget sometimes how hard transitions can be and probably expect more than i should.  You said the same thing her director did about validating her emotions which I think is a big thing.  Here's to hoping this is a small bump in the road.

pregnancy due date Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • I would sit down for a face to face with her. Explain that while you understand she is sad, her behavior is not acceptable and not a good way to make new friends. Is there anyone else at school that she is friendly with...? Could you make some play dates with other children from the school?

• Loading the player...
  • imageSpin313:
    I would sit down for a face to face with her. Explain that while you understand she is sad, her behavior is not acceptable and not a good way to make new friends. Is there anyone else at school that she is friendly with...? Could you make some play dates with other children from the school?

This is what we are trying to do, however no other kids have come up as potential playmates.  The few kids who we know are there and her age are "mean to her", even though we've seen her play with them at previous outings and birthday parties.  We'll keep trying though.  Thank you as well.

pregnancy due date Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • I think this is a bump in the road. My DD is only a few months younger. I'd look into a soccer or dance or gymnastics class so your daughter can make some new friends. It took my daughter a few weeks to make friends at her new school.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Can you try to setup a play date with her old friends that left?
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Have you talke to the teacher to find out what's going on? How are they addressing the behavior in the classroom.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • This is rough. Its DS's 3rd day at a traditional school, and a few kids formed their own groups. I get worried about how he will adjust, because like your child, although he is a social butterfly in school it seems like a different animal than a playground.

How long has your child been in this new setting? Give it a few weeks, and come up with ideas with the director and teachers so to build your child's confidence up, and help facilitate friendships.

When they get older, they will learn ways to make friends without us. However since they are so young, they need a little adult guidance, teacher or parent, to help them.
    photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"