October 2011 Moms
Options

YMCA membership

Does anyone have a membership to the Y or have in the past? Do/did you like it? I'm thinking of joining. I've been needing to lose weight for quite awhile now, but haven't had any motivation. Lately I've been feeling more motivated to get off my butt and get moving, so I want to join a gym before I lose spark.

We have tons of gyms in this area, but most of them don't have child care. I really need that because DH works a lot, so DS will need to go with me when I work out. I'm thinking of joining the Y because the family membership is only about $20 more a month than most of the other gyms around here that have child care. DH wouldn't use it much, but at least he would have the option. Also the have so many programs for kids like swimming lessons, camps, mommy and me classes, etc. they are an additional cost, but at least they are available unlike the other gyms in the area. Plus they don't make you sign a year long contract so if I need to cancel or downgrade the membership I can. 

There is one other gym in the area that is good and has child care that I'm considering. the one thing i do like about that one is that they have a womens only section. That might be good for me right now because I'm so self conscious, but its not a necessity. once i get into the swing of things ill be fine I'm sure. they also have child care, but nothing else for kids. Anywho, I still need to schedule a tour of the facilities but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with they Y. 

Re: YMCA membership

• Options

I think the Y is nice they have lots of things for kids, we toured them but ended up going to lifetime fitness which was geared more for adults and swanky but had great childcare program and indoor and outdoor pools.

I think if you have a set time when you go to the gym it is great because usually you will get the same childcare providers and the same kids in the daycare which makes dropping them off easier.  

siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • Options
    I prefer a gym that has a women's section. I can just get in and get out. E does a ton of activities at our Y but I've never joined. I wouldn't use an indoor pool.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am not a member but Gator does her swim lessons at a YMCA. I know you have to pay extra for some classes, but I believe you get a discount on the class if you are a member. Like I pay $59 a month for her swimming lessons, but it is somewhere around $35 if you are a member. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I'm definitely going to check out both places and see which I like better. Maybe I'll see if they each offer a trial week or something so I can work out there a few times and compare.
  • Options
    We have a family membership to the Y.  It's close to us, and the workout facilities are pretty nice.  They also just added a brand new child care center, and you get 10 free hours/mo with the family membership.  I like the Y in that it's very chill and laid back with normal everyday people.  We also take swim classes there and have done a Tiny Tot tumbling class with DD.  The classes are so-so (pretty average college-age instructors), but they're pretty cheap if you're a member.  I would definitely say try it out, and like you said, you can cancel anytime so there's nothing to lose.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"