One & Done: Only child
Options

Only child segment coming up on the Today show...

Like now! 

Eta: it's right after this weather segment  

Lillian April 17, 2012

Re: Only child segment coming up on the Today show...

• Options
    salt78salt78 member
    Ah! I'm at work and will miss it. Someone report back please!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Interesting!  Only children proven to have higher test scores and to be more intelligent.  She also discussed the economic strain that children can bring to a family (not in a negative way) and that having only one could help the parents to feel better, and if the parents are happier, they'll be better parents.  I just bought her book!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageNikkiJ814:
    Interesting!  Only children proven to have higher test scores and to be more intelligent.  She also discussed the economic strain that children can bring to a family (not in a negative way) and that having only one could help the parents to feel better, and if the parents are happier, they'll be better parents.  I just bought her book!

Sounds spot on! :)

I missed the segment, but maybe I can catch it on YouTube or something.  I love positive sentiments regarding OAD.  

C is 3 years old

• Options

I haven't watched it yet but I believe this is the link:

https://www.today.com/video/today/52166706#52166706

Lilypie - (dLe1)

***BFP 1-22-13, baby boy dx with Trisomy 13 at 15 weeks.

We let him go to Heaven on 4-27-13 at 17 weeks 1 day***

Lilypie - (AW2u)

Lilypie - (L84X)Lilypie - (D4Hj)

• Options
    Oh interesting!  I DRV the Today show every day, I'm just sitting down to watch some.. so I'll see it eventually :)
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • Options
    imageQuigleyCat1:

I haven't watched it yet but I believe this is the link:

https://www.today.com/video/today/52166706#52166706

Thank you for the link!

Very interesting segment.  It's very timely to study this.  So many more parents are choosing to have just one child than were doing so even just a few years ago.  It's on trend. :) 

C is 3 years old

• Options
    KL777KL777 member
    Thanks for the link! Great segment.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options

It was very positive and I like that she mentioned that she gets comments from people like " you wouldn't do that to your child?!" in reference to not having a sibling. I hope people watching now know its a rude comment. Very good segment! 

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing this!    She touches on all the "concerns" people express to me about having one. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    salt78salt78 member
    imagekatieh1017:

It was very positive and I like that she mentioned that she gets comments from people like " you wouldn't do that to your child?!" in reference to not having a sibling. I hope people watching now know its a rude comment.

One can only hope. I'm certainly sick of hearing it!

• Options
    salt78salt78 member
    It's being discussed on the Today Moms Facebook now. As I suspected, some people are being jerks about it.
  • Options
    imageM&MHaveMyHeart:

imagesalt78:
    It's being discussed on the Today Moms Facebook now. As I suspected, some people are being jerks about it.

I quickly glanced.

I just don't understand how hard it is to grasp onto the fact that not everyone wants a buttload of kids & also relating it to doing a disservice to your only by not "giving" them siblings. It's very annoying how naive people are.

Word.

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Options
    I notice there's a real trend in the comments on Today Moms about having a sibling to lean on when they're forced into caring for aging parents. Aside from the fact this is definitely not a reason to have a second child, it must be nice to live in a world where all siblings will be best friends forever. Speaking as someone with an estranged sister, I dread the day that I will have to deal with her in caring for my own parents. It would be far less stressful if I could just do it on my own.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imageeyenigh:
    I notice there's a real trend in the comments on Today Moms about having a sibling to lean on when they're forced into caring for aging parents. Aside from the fact this is definitely not a reason to have a second child, it must be nice to live in a world where all siblings will be best friends forever. Speaking as someone with an estranged sister, I dread the day that I will have to deal with her in caring for my own parents. It would be far less stressful if I could just do it on my own.

This times infinity. When my mom was sick, it was up to me to make (and pay for) every decision. My sister and I didn't speak for months after my mom died. It was such a hard time to have to write the obituary, plan the services, book flights, and deal with a sister who just kept saying "Whatever."  Honestly, I would rather have handled it solo.  Having shared a womb doesnt promise you'll be friends.  We've since sorted things out and she has grown up quite a bit.  We're getting closer, but I doubt we'd be close if we weren't sisters. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Can't wait to watch it.

People bring up the "but when you're old..." line all the time.  I'm an only and always tell them that helping out/caring for my parents when they are elderly is the least I can do for them! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"