September 2013 Moms
Options

Inguinal hernia

Good morning!
I have unfortunately been diagnosed with an inguinal hernia. For those who do not know what it is, it is a bulge of intestines coming out of a weak spot in the groin muscle. It is very uncomfortable to say the least. I'm curious if anyone has ever experienced this before? I go to the doctor again Monday because it got worse during the day Friday. The doctor has out me on bed rest to ease the pain also so it stops growing. If anyone has any information please fill me in on your experience, I'm curious if doctors and mid wives have opted for a csection which I am petrified of! Any and all help is appreciated!

Re: Inguinal hernia

• Options
    I'm sorry I have no information but you have my t&p's. Also, if you don't mind me asking (and no worries if you do) why are you afraid of a c-section? 
  • Options
    I have two hernias that I've had my entire life. Before I got pregnant I saw a surgeon regarding what happens when/if I got pregnant. Both the surgeon and my doctor said the hernias shouldn't affect pregnancy. I'm now 6 months and sometimes I can feel them and if I do, I jut take it easy. There was no talk of c section. I think it just depends on how severe yours are. I would see what your doctors say before worrying too much.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Having to be cut open, having to take care of a 7 and 5 year old and new born after the surgery, having the spinal or epidural. It is just my fears of complications that really eats at me.I know women have csections every day and get over it quickly but I just can't bare the thought of going through all the pain and knowing what's going on. I have anxiety over it and to have the hernia repair surgery after is all just scary!
  • Options
    imageBjswifey:
    Having to be cut open, having to take care of a 7 and 5 year old and new born after the surgery, having the spinal or epidural. It is just my fears of complications that really eats at me.I know women have csections every day and get over it quickly but I just can't bare the thought of going through all the pain and knowing what's going on. I have anxiety over it and to have the hernia repair surgery after is all just scary!

I was terrified of my c section. Terrified. I was actually so scared of having a spinal or epidural that I would have done a natural birth just to avoid an epidural. But it was not nearly as bad as I thought and I think as far as pain, it was probably easier than delivering the baby vaginally. The recovery was very quick and you would just have to tell your older children that mommy needs to sit for a few days and they have to be big kids during that time. You can get some new playing cards or board games or things like that to play with them too.

So, I don't know anything about your hernia, but just try not to worry about the possibility of a c section. And if your OB does say you need a c section, ask for a second opinion if you want to! My OB told me I needed a c section, but she did say if I wanted a second opinion she wouldn't be offended and would gladly fax my file or give a referral.
  • Options
    214198214198 member
    Great timing on the post! Just saw a surgeon yesterday for my new inguinal hernia. Basicaly as long as I'm not in excruciating pain or it strangulates (which the surgeon assured me is very very very unlikley to happen) we wait until after delivery and talk about repairing it then (seems like this will be his recomendation even if its not bothersome). He nor my ob seem very worried about it. He said it may get more painful but more likley it will get bigger- stretch the opening and it will actually hurt less. I'm buying a bella band with groin belts to see if that helps- he said it was worth a try. He just told me to avoid activities that specifically bothered it but that I could work/exercise/lift as tolerated. He suggested nothing over 50lbs. From what I understand (I forgot to specifically ask) from reading a lot of posts is that a c-section would actually complicate things further and that a normal vag delivery is expected. What I don't know is how painfull that will be! I was wanting to try no epi this time around but if it hurts then like it does now I think that would be very painful but I don't think it will be a reason for a c-section or anything. My doc just said he could proscribe painkillers as it got worse and we will watch it/play it by ear. I feel much better after seeing the surgeon yesterday.  Nice to know I'm not alone! If they do want to repair it- which would be unlikley he told me that they want to do it in second tri, before 28weeks b/c all risks to baby are lowest then. GL. Let us know how it goes and if anything helps you I'm curious.
  • Options

I don't have first hand knowledge or the hernia, but just to let you know, the C-section isn't as bad as it used to be, and if you are having a scheduled C-section the recovery is pretty quick ( I have heard that the recovery from an emergency one after labor has started can be worse, but I have not been through it).

But during the C-section they suction you out and numb the area, so you don't have the crazy bleeding post partum that you get with natural birth, and the pain is really not that bad, I have had more than one surgery and I can tell you that the C-section was nothing compared to lung surgery, as long as you take it easy you can be feeling better within a week, but then it was just like I had done too many situps, and all pain was gone within a month.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Diagnosed with Anti little c antibodies. DS1 7.11.11 - Anaemia and Jaundice. 10 days in the NICU, 1 exchange transfusion and 4 blood transfusions. DS2 29.8.13 - Anaemia 7 days in the NICU and 1 exchange transfusion. Both are now happy and healthy. 

• Options
    I know this post is older, but I wanted to respond to others who are experiencing inguinal hernias during pregnancy and I wrote the same info on another blog but I really want women out there to know there is something you can do about the inguinal hernias during pregnancy to intervene.  I wore the Babybellyband products and it made a world of difference.  I could actually walk and do my normal daily things without holding my hernia in.  You have to get the Babybelly abdominal band with add-on groin bands which provide compression support to the hernia area holding it in.  YOu can also add-on shoulder bands if your back is in pain or if your bump is seriously heavy or low to lift it off of the pubic bone area.  I may need this later in pregnancy but for now I am just wearing the ab band with groin band support. This really worked and I did not need surgery post pregnancy with my 2nd child and am using it now with my 3rd once again.  This product is a lifesaver and has supported the hernia enough so that it is not getting any worse.  You really need to take action and support your hernia!  Go girls support that lump!
  • Options
    I also have an inguinal hernia that only bothers me during pregnancy. I've spoken to a surgeon who suggested waiting until I was sure I wasn't going to have any more children, before repairing it (assuming I am not in pain). I also wore a special brace that I was fitted for when I was pregnant with dd#1. It was a life saver!!! Good luck!!

J+E ~ 08/25/2007   DD#1 ~ 05/11/2010   DD#2 ~ 09/25/2013   DD#3 ~ 06/09/2016   Baby #4 Due ~ 01/16/2023

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"