August 2013 Moms
Options

Would you pick it up?

This morning when I left for work, I noticed one of my neighbors had put out a crib with mattress. Since it's trash pick-up day, I assumed the neighbors wanted it hauled away.

Well, I just got home and it's still sitting out there. Maybe it didn't fit on the trash truck? Anyway, it looks to be in excellent condition. I'm half-tempted to haul it in our house, but DH would probably be upset if I picked up a used crib that was someone else's garbage. He's really particular about not wanting to buy or get anything secondhand for our DD, since we don't "need to."

But...it's just sitting there....thoughts? WWYD?

Re: Would you pick it up?

• Options
    I would never buy a used crib let alone take one off the street when you have no knowledge of it's history.
  • Options

imageWashingtonQueen:
    I would never buy a used crib let alone take one off the street when you have no knowledge of it's history.

totally agree.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageWashingtonQueen:

This.

• Options

I would go ask them about it. Not the mattress for sure - just buy that, but you could just say, "Hey, saw the crib... what's the story?"

Things like car seats and such I get the buying new, but anything that can be genuinely sanitized, I say go for it! Nothing wrong with a little upcycling. :)

• Options
    Thanks for the reality check--you are right. I don't even know those neighbors. And, I have no idea why they've placed it outside for pick-up. Could very well be defective.

• Options
    I've got no qualms with used stuff (even mattresses when I know where they come from) however if it was put out for trash that's a big no-no. I know the only reason I put furniture out to trash is because it really belongs there (i.e. soaked past the point of return with cat pee or vomit). 
    BFP 4/3/07 EDD 11/23/07 MC 7/20/07 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imagesonshine0609:
    I've got no qualms with used stuff even mattresses when I know where they come from however if it was put out for trash that's a big nono. I know the only reason I put furniture out to trash is because it really belongs there i.e. soaked past the point of return with cat pee or vomit.nbsp;

Or bed bugs!
  • Options

imageWashingtonQueen:

Agreed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Absolutely not!

You have no idea if they have had bed bugs or lice.  The dog or cat could have peed or vomited on it.  Their baby could have thrown up on it and it couldn't be cleaned.  There are just too many what ifs.  And the crib could be damaged or the parents could have found it to be unsafe.  Also, it could be a recalled model.  There are just too many what ifs.  I wouldn't do it or recommend it for anyone.

Baby C - 08.23.13
  • Options
    I wouldn't.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageMrsWahidi:
    Thanks for the reality checkyou are right. I don't even know those neighbors.nbsp;And, Inbsp;have no ideanbsp;why they've placed it outside for pickup. Could very wellnbsp;be defective.

Mobile bumping thumbs up! You made the right choice :
    Me: 32
    DH: 37
    Married: May 24, 2008
    TTC #2 since: June 2020
  • Options
    imageBellaOso:

I would go ask them about it. Not the mattress for sure - just buy that, but you could just say, "Hey, saw the crib... what's the story?"

Things like car seats and such I get the buying new, but anything that can be genuinely sanitized, I say go for it! Nothing wrong with a little upcycling. :)

I couldn't agree more.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"