Baby Showers
Options

Tacky or not?

I know this board loves these kids of questions! :)

So my mom knits and crochets the most beautiful baby items- stuffed animals and monsters, dolls, shoes, clothes, hats, etc. etc. Every time I have a baby shower to attend, she makes a little something for me to include in my gift, usually a little pair of shoes or a monster. She has an Etsy shop where she sells her things, and has adorable little business cards advertising it. I always want her to attach a business card to whatever I'm giving to the person, but she thinks it's rude, and says I should just have some to hand out if anyone asks. People ALWAYS ask, because her stuff is darling. But the way I see it, if I were to go to the Farmer's Market or wherever and buy a handmade item and it had a tag attached saying who made it and where you could find it online, I'd leave it on if I were giving it as a gift, so that the person receiving the gift would know, and could see more items from that person if she wanted to. I really don't think that's strange at all! My mom is really shy and humble about the things she makes, so I think that's why she always tells me not to attach the card.

What do you think? 

Re: Tacky or not?

• Options
    I would only provide the card to the MTB maybe in the bag, but I would not hand it out to anyone else. If someone else asks you could maybe then give them her info

• Options
    HBirdieHBirdie member

imagekennazebrowsky:
    I would only provide the card to the MTB maybe in the bag, but I would not hand it out to anyone else. If someone else asks you could maybe then give them her info

Really? Even if they ask? This surprises me. I mean, I don't have a stack that I'm passing out to every guest, I just always have some in my wallet in case someone is really interested. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageHBirdie:

imagekennazebrowsky:

Really? Even if they ask? This surprises me. I mean, I don't have a stack that I'm passing out to every guest, I just always have some in my wallet in case someone is really interested. 

In bold I said I would if they asked

• Options
    I think it would be fine to include a business card in the gift bag and to hand out a card for anyone who asked. I mean it's a hand made item. If I got such a gift I would want to know who made it. I wouldn't side eye it at all. 
  • Options
    HBirdieHBirdie member

imageMrsLee04:
    I wouldn't include the business card with the gift.  It seems like soliciting (like, here's a great gift, please feel encouraged to buy more).  I would definitely bring a bunch of cards to the shower with you, and if the MTB and other guests ask then by all means hand them out.  Also, if your mom isn't comfortable with it, regardless of how you feel about it, you should respect her wishes.  She may feel you are being too pushy which could reflect poorly on her business (she may be afraid people will think she put you up to it). 

Good point. I've always respected her decision not to put one in with the gift, and I will continue to do so. I never thought of it as reflecting poorly on her business, I certainly wouldn't want that. Thanks for your input. 

• Options
    HBirdieHBirdie member
    imagekennazebrowsky:
    imageHBirdie:

imagekennazebrowsky:

In bold I said I would if they asked

Haha okay, sorry about that! I guess I just didn't read your comment closely enough. 

• Options

imageMrsLee04:
    I wouldn't include the business card with the gift.  It seems like soliciting (like, here's a great gift, please feel encouraged to buy more).  I would definitely bring a bunch of cards to the shower with you, and if the MTB and other guests ask then by all means hand them out.  Also, if your mom isn't comfortable with it, regardless of how you feel about it, you should respect her wishes.  She may feel you are being too pushy which could reflect poorly on her business (she may be afraid people will think she put you up to it). 

This.  Pretty much exactly what I was going to respond.

red

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    LC122LC122 member
    So, the difference between your gift and a handmade one you might buy is that you didn't buy it. I think having the tag/card on it would make it look like you did buy it, which would make it less personal, or that you are soliciting for your mother, which it sounds like she is afraid of.
    There is a difference between being proud of your Mother's work and telling people it was handmade by her vs coming across like you are in a pyramid scheme or tupperware party peddling your Mother's goods to a captive audience.
    If people ask about her stuff, I would discreetly tell them you'll give them her info later, so not in the middle of the gift giving or anything.
    I also wouldn't want the tag on there because I wouldn't want the MTB to look up, or even see by accident, how much my mother sells the item for, like leaving the price on something.
  • Options
    imageLC122:
    I also wouldn't want the tag on there because I wouldn't want the MTB to look up, or even see by accident, how much my mother sells the item for, like leaving the price on something.

I don't see what this has to do with anything really, you can find the price of any gift. Either you know the price because its on the registry, or you can easily look it up on line. If the mother sells stuff on Etsy, the shop could be found there and the price easily seen.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemilkergirl1:
    Are there tags on her products with her name or company name on them?nbsp; If not, how is a business card any different than a Carter's tag on an outfit or Fisher Price info on a toy box?nbsp; And if people asked at the shower where they could get the product, I would give them a business card. I don't see how that is any different than saying you purchased an item at Target or BRU.

This is what I was thinking. Maybe she could have smaller tags made and hook them on the products with a small safety pin. It might be less discreet than a business card attached, yet provide the info as any garment or store bought item does.
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    I wouldn't. If your gift has a Fisher Price tag, it's not implied that you're trying to encourage the recipient to buy things from Fisher Price. But since this is your mom, it can be construed that you're trying to drum up business for her due to your relationship. I'd just hand out cards if asked. 
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Gifts purchased from a store have tags with information about the manufacturer. I see no reason why you couldn't attach something with a cute ribbon to the shoes or the monster. I think its perfectly acceptable and would be very helpful if people wanted to know more about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"