Parenting
Options

moms who had GD

Hi ladies. I had insulin dependent GD while I was pregnant. DS is 10 weeks old today. Over the last few weeks, I have had 3 episodes where my blood sugar drops. The 1st 2 times I was home. This morning I was out, had both kids with me, and I had to sit on a bench outside the grocery store and wait about 15 minutes after having some juice and cookies to feel good enough to load them up and head home. Now I'm worried. What if I had passed out or something!

I have a follow-up appt with my endo next week, and I am repeating the GTT tomorrow. Has anyone else experienced this post-partum? I'm pretty sure I'm eating enough, and I'm trying to eat high protein food to help stabilize my sugars. Any other suggestions?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: moms who had GD

• Options
    imageAshPal61:

Im sorry, that sounds scary.

I don't want to scare you any more, but I know someone who got GD and still has diabetes 3 years later...it never went away

• Options
    Sorry, it posted before I wrote my response. That's what worries me. I never refilled my testing supplies because I was told I didn't need to monitor it after I was d/c from the hospital. I'll see what happens after my GTT tomorrow.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

- Butting in - 

I didn't have GD, but I am hypoglycemic and had to really watch my eating to not have crashes during pregnancy, especially later on.  I did have a bad crash when LO was about 2 months old.  Scared the bejesus out of me.  I just went down and it all happened really fast.  Normally, I can tell when it's coming.  This time, I had no discernible warning.  I think the demands of BFing and total lack of sleep did not help the situation.  I was very careful with eating after and stopped having to be so careful a few months later.  

I'm glad they're redoing your GTT.  You should also ask that they run an A1C on you in that initial blood draw (assuming they do a full draw for the fasting sugars run).  Having GD makes you much more likely to develop diabetes, so it's a good thing that you're getting checked out now.  

GL.  I hope you get good news.   

- Butting back out -  

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear your having problems I hope you get answers soon.  I had GD while pregnant with DD but I don't have problems now.  I also didn't have insulin dependant GD.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"