Working Moms
Options

English teachers

I'm doing a demo lesson next week for a position as a writing teacher.  I just got emailed the details, other than the number of students and the resources I'll have, they told me to prepare a lesson on any genre that demonstrates your strengths as a writing teacher.  Any suggestions?  It's for 7th grade.  I talked a bit about persuasive in my interview so I'm thinking maybe incorporating explanatory or narrative.  I'd like to include work using a rubric and some partner work.

Re: English teachers

• Options
    What about providing a mentor text and having the students work with a partner to prepare their own version? It could be a poem, a song, a short story or an argument.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options

What state are you in? If your state is big on the Common Core, I'd suggest looking at the Common Core standards and using your lesson to address one of the standards specifically. There are good 7-8 narrative writing standards that would give you a nice focus. For example, you could do:

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.7.3d Use precise words and phrases, relevant descriptive details, and sensory language to capture the action and convey experiences and events.

Do a lesson on imagery and focus on sensory language

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagea2pfunk:

What state are you in? If your state is big on the Common Core, I'd suggest looking at the Common Core standards and using your lesson to address one of the standards specifically. There are good 7-8 narrative writing standards that would give you a nice focus. For example, you could do:

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.7.3d Use precise words and phrases, relevant descriptive details, and sensory language to capture the action and convey experiences and events.

Do a lesson on imagery and focus on sensory language

I was thinking about doing something like that, then I started to find some plans that looked good on characterization and I was thinking about doing something along those lines.  I'm trying to find a very short mentor text, just a page or two.  Have any suggestions? 

• Options

https://www.corestandards.org/assets/Appendix_B.pdf

Go to page 77 of this link and you'll find the text exemplars for Common Core. I teach HS so I"m not as familiar with the selections for 6-8, but a quick glance is showing a few things that I think would work for characterization (Sandra Cisneros's Eleven is on there--it would be perfect!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"