Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Do you put LO down when he's drowsy or good and sleep

I'm curious to know how many of you ladies have a LO who will go to sleep by themselves so long as he or she is drowsy or already sleepy. Mine absolutely will not. On a couple of occasions I have put LO in his crib when I know he is sleepy and I have stuff to do. He will lie there, talk to himself, stare at the mobile...etc until he's tired of doing so and then he will cry. I will pick him up and within 5 or 6 minutes he is asleep and I put him down and he's good. 

DH did the same thing one night when he found himself getting drowsy with LO in his arms one night. So he put LO in his crib with the mobile and laid back down. LO stared at and talked to the mobile the entire time and when the mobile went off, he talked another 10 minutes or so. At that time, I got up, gave him a bottle and within 3 minutes he was sleeping in my arms. I put him down and he was good.  

All he wanted was to be put to sleep. I'm wondering if I will ever be able to put him down while drowsy. And will he grow out of it at some point...

Re: Do you put LO down when he's drowsy or good and sleep

• She's usually totally asleep.  She wakes once a night and at that waking, I can usually put her back down drowsy when she's done nursing and she will go to sleep, but for naps, she has to be fully asleep.  DS was like that until he was about 4 months.  Then when he was 6 months, we did CIO so after that we could just set him down in the crib, say "night night" and he'd fall right to sleep.  I'm not really worrying about it until we have more of a schedule.  I think once you have a schedule and they get used to a routine of when they're sleeping, it's easier to put them down drowsy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • SkyBeeSkyBee member
    I usually put the twins down drowsy but awake and it works out fine for us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • At that age, asleep. DS didn't start to be able to be put down drowsy but awake until a month ago.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • =Lee=B=Lee=B member
    My 12 week old goes down drowsy the majority of the time...occasionally she passes out first.  She lies there looking around and eventually goes to sleep without any crying.

• for her daytime naps, she has to be at least drowsy in my arms, but usually she's pretty much asleep.  at bedtime (7pm) she is usually wide-eyed and awake when i put her to bed, but she always seems to fall asleep fine on her own then.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Usually drowsy...if he does fall asleep before I put him down, I pat/jostle him a little bit so his eyes open and then he falls asleep in his rock n play (a la Harvey Karp - The Happiest Baby Guide to Great Sleep) - it's been working out well for us.

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• tilsonctilsonc member
    How old is your LO? For the first month I had to wait until she was sleeping for 20 mins or so to be able to put her down. She loves her RNP and will go in drowsy. She actually gets fussy and wants me to put her down with her paci. She does the same thing in her crib and I have not crib trained her just yet.
  • During the night I can put LO down drowsy and she's usually fine putting herself to sleep. During the day for naps, sometimes she can only fall asleep in my arms, and other times she will fall asleep on her own. No pattern to it during the day.
  • UberBizUberBiz member

imageCrazyMary77:
    During the night I can put LO down drowsy and she's usually fine putting herself to sleep. During the day for naps, sometimes she can only fall asleep in my arms, and other times she will fall asleep on her own. No pattern to it during the day.

This. At night, I am so sleepy I can't wait for V to be totally asleep again after nursing, so I'll make sure he burps, then swaddle him and lay him down. He'll usually knock right out cuz it's night time and dark. During the day, sometimes he'll fall asleep after nursing, other times he'll be drowsy and I'll set him in his bouncy seat. Sometimes he'll get cranky again, and sometimes he'll fall asleep on his own.

OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DH can put him down drowsy and he'll fall asleep.  If I try, he doesn't.  
  • Drowsy whe nI can. she usually needs a good fuss in after I put her down, I let her do it for 3 minutes, pop the paci in and she passes out
    BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
  • During the day I usually put her down asleep unless I am putting her in her swing then I wait until she is drowsy.  At night once she is swaddled I will usually put her in awake and she passes out. Occasionally, I have to pick her up and put her to sleep or at least more drowsy.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • He has to be totally asleep, even then he will grunt loudly and stir when I move him and there is a 40% chance he will wake back up and I have to try to put him to sleep again. The only time I can put him down drowsy is in the middle of the night when he is laying next to me.

• Totally asleep for naps (although I'm trying to put him down earlier and earlier in an effort to be able to put him down drowsy soon). At night and after his MOTN feeding I can put him down drowsy and he'll fall asleep within a minute. He seems to be very affected by the light. 

• if he's awake and i need to put him down, i put him in the swing

if he is fussy and yawning but wont sleep on his own, i swaddle him, put on the sleep sheep, rock him a bit and put him in his bassinette, or the swing 

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • leasajleasaj member
    My LO will NOT be put down unless sleeping. The only exception is when she falls asleep in swing.
  • Some days my little guy can fall asleep on his own if we put him down drowsy, but most of the time I rock him to sleep first. However, he often wakes up when I put him down and it is about 50/50 whether he will go back to sleep on his own. I am trying not to worry too much about the "put down drowsy" thing until 3 to 4 months.
  • Thanks Ladies. I forgot to say he is 13 weeks old. I was just curious because he will not fall asleep no matter how sleepy he is unless he's in our arm. I was curious as to how long it may last.  

• imagetashadee75:
    Thanks Ladies. I forgot to say he is 13 weeks old. I was just curious because he will not fall asleep no matter how sleepy he is unless he's in our arm. I was curious as to how long it may last.nbsp;nbsp;
    my first was the same. She grew out of it eventually.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    imageimageimage
  • I didn't start putting DD down awake but drowsy 'till she was a few months old.  DS I began right away.  They both STTN (meaning 8-11 hours) by 7wks (DD) to 13w (DS).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• For my LO it depends, if she's drowsy I put her down in her bassinet since she rocks herself to sleep since she moves so much but if I want her to sleep in her crib she has to be completely asleep or she will start fussing :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"