January 2013 Moms
Options

Let's talk about cloth wipes

I'm getting interested in cloth wipes so tell me all about it. Did you buy wipes or did anyone make their own? If you made them, what kind of fabric? One layer or 2? What kind of wipe solution do you use? How do you store them? On average, how many do you use in a day? I don't cloth diaper so could I wash them with DS's regular laundry if I rinsed them first?

Lot's of questions, I know! Smile TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Let's talk about cloth wipes

• Options

I CD and use cloth wipes.  DS is in disposables at DC, so my CD and cloth wipe experience is only about three quarter time.  

I have 24 "wipes."  Really they're just baby washcloths I got on sale at Walmart when they were changing seasons.  I sew myself, but 24 wipes for $6 was well worth it.  I really like the baby washcloths because there's already a smooth side and a terrycloth side for a little texture when DS has stickier poo when we start solids.  

I only need to use one cloth wipe per changing as opposed to 1 to 3 of disposable wipes depending on the situation.  I don't have my wipes sit in a solution because I didn't want to have to mix something up and worry about mildew or mold, so I keep the peri-bottle I brought home from the hospital at the diaper station and a bottle of California Babies Calming diaper area wash.  I picked up 6.5 oz bottles on clearance at Target for $5.00 (it's about $11.00 MSRP).  

When it's diaper changing time, I grab a wipe, moisten it with regular water from the peri-bottle, and one spray of the diaper area wash on the wipe.  I've used maybe an ounce of the California Babies wash total and DS is over 4 months now.  I am incredibly cheap, so I would not have normally bought a pre-made wash before, but now that I see how long it's going to last me, I wouldn't hesitate to get more at full price in the future. 

Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
  • Options
    I spray LO down with California Baby diaper area wash, and then wipe her with bamboo cloth wipes I got on Amazon.  I wet these down with warm water.  After wiping, I toss them in with cloth diapers and wash them all at the same time.  I think you could probably just wash them with everything else, although you might need to strip them now and then to keep them absorbent.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageReeceFamily:
    I spray LO down with California Baby diaper area wash, and then wipe her with bamboo cloth wipes I got on Amazon.  I wet these down with warm water.  After wiping, I toss them in with cloth diapers and wash them all at the same time.  I think you could probably just wash them with everything else, although you might need to strip them now and then to keep them absorbent.

What do mean about stripping them?

• Options
    We use a combo of Prince Lionheart warmies wipes, Bum Genius flannel wipes and Babies r Us baby wash cloths. We keep them rolled in a Prince Lionheart wipe warmer and I use a spray bottle with primarily water, a little bit of tea tree and lavender oil and a squirt of Dr Bronner's liquid Castile soap. We probably use anywhere from 10 to 15 a day. I don't know about washing them because we cloth diaper and just throw them in with the rest of the diapers. Hope this helps!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I have 3 different kinds of wipes.  A lot are just cheapie baby wash cloths.  I have some that have one side that is flannel and the other is birdseye and I made some just before DD was born that are flannel and terry cloth.  I like them all the same.  The ones I made are pretty nice and plush, but really they all get the job done the same.

For wipe solution I use a spray bottle filled with water and a squirt of Dr. Bronner's.

I store them in a stack on the changing table and then spray them with liquid as needed.  

I honestly don't know how many I go through in a day.

If you rinse them first I would have no issue washing them with clothes laundry. 

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I made my own cloth wipes, but that was when I was pregnant and had a lot more time. I made about 46 out of two layers of flannel 8x8 sewed together. I keep them in a basket on the change table and spray them with water to use. I only use about 1-2 per diaper change so depends how many diaper changes you do a day. We CD as well so I wash them with the cloth diapers every other day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagejjdillie:

imageReeceFamily:

Here's a link that describes stripping!

https://lifemoresimply.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-to-strip-diapers.html 

• Options
    imageReeceFamily:
    imagejjdillie:

imageReeceFamily:

Here's a link that describes stripping!

https://lifemoresimply.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-to-strip-diapers.html 

I've never ever had to strip wipes.  They don't really need to be super absorbent and they're thin enough that they're easily cleaned.  Don't worry about it.   

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I use Osocozy wipes and honestly they're pretty cheaply made. Some of the strings around the edges are unraveling but they're fine. I use a spray bottle with water and a little bit of both olive oil & baby shampoo [Burt's Bees] I probably wouldn't do it though without CDing. I wouldn't want to run any risks of poo not washing out in just a normal cycle and then getting on clothes. The risk is small but that's how pink eye gets spread IMO. 
  • Options

imagethis decaf life:
    I use Osocozy wipes and honestly they're pretty cheaply made. Some of the strings around the edges are unraveling but they're fine. I use a spray bottle with water and a little bit of both olive oil & baby shampoo [Burt's Bees] I probably wouldn't do it though without CDing. I wouldn't want to run any risks of poo not washing out in just a normal cycle and then getting on clothes. The risk is small but that's how pink eye gets spread IMO

I didn't think about that. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"