Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

How Do You Know?

DS 4 mo on 6/4 has been on a solid schedule for the last 10 weeks or so. Starting at 7:15 am he eats, plays, then naps for 3960 minutes. Repeat this same routine until bedtime we push up the last feeding a bit and he's in bed between 7:30 and 7:45 pm.

Today he was still napping as 10:15 am the time for his next bottle was approaching, so I gently woke him he was smiley when roused and proceeded with our day, but it got me thinking...

How do you know when it's time for the schedule to change for more time between bottles, fewer bottles in larger sizes, longer naps, etc? He's a creature of habit, but I know these habits will change and I have no idea how ill know when it's time to shift things! Thoughts? Experience with this?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How Do You Know?

• Options
    Don't wake him up from a nap for a bottle. He'll get up when he's hungry. Babies will create their own schedules based on their needs, when they're ready.
  • Options
    jobiannjobiann member
    We don't have a schedule, our son has developed his own routine...but it is always up for changing. I would never wake him up to feed him....you shift when he shifts. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Eitak82Eitak82 member
    I'm trying this now with his next nap. Can I ask though, are you able to keep a consistent bedtime this way?
  • Options
    Babies know their needs. You don't need a schedule for this. Feed, nap, and play in demand and stop worrying about a schedule. You'll both be much happier. We keep a baby led schedule. Our son still goes to bed about the same time every night.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    the baby will tell you when they are hungry, don't wake them ever! Yes, bedtime is always about the same but naptimes are all over the place.  They'll get more routine on their own when they're down to 2 naps/day.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageNana_Osaki06:
    Babies know their needs. You don't need a schedule for this. Feed, nap, and play in demand and stop worrying about a schedule. You'll both be much happier. We keep a baby led schedule. Our son still goes to bed about the same time every night.

This. LO goes to bed about 6:30 every night still.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had my DS on a schedule which included waking up at night time for feedings and then him being awake all day without any naps (and slightly grumpy). Once I started letting him call the shots he sleeps through the whole night now, naps during the day, and searches for milk on me when he's hungry. No crying or missed sleep, for both of us! For bottle sizes, just make sure he's content after feeding. If he seems content at first, but then seems hungry again soon (within a hour or so?) time to give him more! At one point my DS when from drinking 5oz back to 4oz, so that does happen also!
  • Options
    Basically, what we do is go by a chart from google docs for a reference of when he needs to sleep next. For example at four months he should have a maximum awake time before his next nap of 1 hour and 45 minutes and then I start the process of nursing/swaddling/etc. I also just read his cues, if he is acting tired I'll start the routine. I've learned the second time around that is best for us to be flexible to their personalized needs. I wouldn't wake to feed him either, but I'm more of a "just let the baby sleep" kind of parent.

imageimage
  • Options

I think I'd go nuts if I had to stick to a schedule like that. I just let DD get into her own routine and it worked out really nicely. I noticed she got into her own 3 hour eat, play, sleep schedule. The problem was when I tried to make her do it. She'd fight me for naps, get fussy because I was waiting to feed her, etc. It didn't take me long to just follow her lead and we were all happier for it.

Now she's in daycare and they do the same thing. Play when awake, nap when tired. They stick to a 3 hour rule for bottles (or however I tell them to space it) but they don't wake for feedings. Baby will wake when hungry! Sometimes DD has gone almost five hours but she must have just been really tired, obviously that was her greater need at the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"