Food Allergy

milk intolerance and similac alimentum?

My 12 week old is potentially milk protein intolerant so the doc had me cut out all milk products from my diet 3 weeks ago.

My husband and I are going away for 36 hours without baby in 2 weeks (what was I thinking when I signed up for that).  My mom, SIL and brother are driving up (20hr drive) to spend the week with us then watch her while we are away.

I have been trying to weeks to stock up on breastmilk but have not been successful as baby knows when I have pumped and freaks out at next feed when the milk doesn't drown her as usual so I end up giving her the milk I pumped.

I now need 60oz+ of feeds stored up in 2 weeks time.  I don't want to leave my mom with formula while away as it will just stress baby out more.  So, I decided to get formula now, feed baby 2 bottles a day of formula and pump and freeze the milk for while I am away.

I bought Similac Alimentum as it seems to be the formula I need but I am not positive as it says it has milk and casein...while at the same time saying it is for milk product intolerant babies.  Is this the right formula?

Re: milk intolerance and similac alimentum?

• Yes its the right one. My ds has mspi and I give him nutramigen from enfamil. They aren't necessarily intolerant of milk its the protein in the milk or soy. So the alimentum and nutramigen break down the protein enzyme so our babies can digest it. I have to warn you though that I've read that many babies don't tolerate well the powder version of alimentum. Some only digest the rtf form. My ds didn't tolerate well alimentum so I gave him nutramigen and he does really well.  Also know that it takes about 2 weeks to see if it's well tolerated or not. Hth. If you need anything please lmk
  • =Lee=B=Lee=B member

Thanks!  I bought the RTF liquid since we only need less than 2 days worth of feeds so hopefully she tolerates it. 

Also since I plan to just give 2-3 feeds a day with breastfeeding the rest of day maybe she will tolerate it better than a full switch.

I assume if she didn't tolerate it she would have major poop changes and increase gassiness?

Fingers crossed she takes it and I can store up enough milk for when I'm away!

• Loading the player...
  • Ya it'll present itself usually with increased gassiness, fussines,watch for constipation or diarrhea too. I hope you the best! It was a nightmare with my son to figure out how to make him feel ok. I had to cut out all dairy and soy for him. He's almost 10 months now and eating lots of solids but still can't have dairy or soy. There's a lot of sites with info online so definitely look around and make yourself more comfortable with it!
  • Alimentum is the right one. DS was diagnosed with MSPI at about between 6-8 weeks old. We struggled with BF-ing (I just found out when he was 7 months old that I have a thyroid problem post partum that caused a lack of BM) and had to supplement with formula. Took us a bit to figure out which one worked. He still had some issues with Alimentum but there weren't a whole lot of other choices for us. We skipped over soy ,but I still wonder if soy would've been ok.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Yes, the proteins are already broken broken for LO.  But be ware!  My LO wouldn't take the Alimentum.  We even tried mixing a little in the breast milk but the Alimentum stinks!  I didn't blame her for not drinking it.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"