Trouble TTC
Options

SA Results, question...

So we just did our 3rd IUI on Tuesday. I was on Fermara and got 2 decent follicles out of it, so I was really optimistic. Then we got my husbands SA results today:

Count - 47 million

Mobility - 62%

Morphology - ZERO!

That was what we learned over then phone but his parents just arrived to go to lunch for his dad's 60th birthday so we couldn't really chit chat with them. We are going to call tomorrow and ask questions as well as schedule an appointment for a urologist. I am no longer optimistic. She said its rare to get KU with a zero morphology.

What do you ladies know about morphology and how important is it? Thanks for any help. These results almost caused a break down in the car on the way to the restaurant...  

Re: SA Results, question...

• Options
    Evo9380Evo9380 member

I don't have a ton of advice as I'm still just starting to fully understand but I wanted to say that DH had very similar results in regards to mobility and also had 0% morphology.

We were told we'd most likely need to do IVF if the SA results do not improve. I remember also feeling terribly pessimistic when we first found out too but eventually the hope did come back!

As of right now, we're attempting 'natural ways' to improve quality (ie: vitamins - mega men pack from GNC, have not yet tried any specific fertility ones) and will be doing a second SA in a few weeks to see if things have changed.

Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone and don't give up hope! 

Good luck!! 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    CindalCindal member

From what I understand morphology is how the sperm are shaped. It's done in percentages so a 0% means that none of the sperm are correctly shaped. It could mean that they have two tails, no tail, wrongly shaped head, two heads, etc. How the sperm is shaped can directly relate to how they perform. For instance they need a good tail to move correctly in the right direction, they need the right shaped head to penetrate the egg, the head is also where the DNA is stored. I've heard that your DH can take vitamins specifically to aid in his fertility to help this factor.
    If I'm not correct on my information I think some of the more informed women who have been on this path longer can correct me. :)

ETA: I know it can be terribly hard to cope with this information, when we got my DH's SA results back in we were in the car headed to his pregnant niece's wedding. I couldn't talk about it with him til we got home, because I knew once we started talking I would lose it. I never did lose it when we finally got around to talking about it, but I could still feel that burning feeling behind my eyes, the churning stomach, and the emptiness.

TTC since March of 2012
    Me: 27 Dh: 35 Testing Begins 3/5/13
    Six SA's show DH has low numbers across the board = severe MFI
    Genetic testing for me = MTHFR+, also carrier for blood clotting disorder Otherwise all else normal
    Dh's karotype= Normal!!
     Mini-IVF/ICSI - July -August 2014 - 1R,M,&F Transferred 1 Grade 1 Morula-5dt - BFFN

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    RunCC37RunCC37 member
    I'm so sorry about the low morph! I hope you can get some info soon and a plan to improve the numbers.
    **SIGGY WARNING**

Me: 32 DH: 35  TTC#1 since March 2012
    Dx: Poor Embryo Quality, Arcuate Uterus, Poor Uterine Blood Flow, Mild Endo, 
           Protein S Deficiency, Sjorgen's Syndrome 

IUI #1-5: BFN
    Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy: minimal endo, partial septoplasty
    IVF #1: 10R/6M/6F ~ Day 3 ET = BFN
    IVF #2: 14R/9M/5F ~ transfer canceled ~ all embryos arrested at 1-2 cell stage
    IVF #3: 9R/5M/5F ~ 1 frosty!
    IVF #4 (FET #1): BFN

IVF #5 (DE IVF #1 with Dr. KK protocol): Currently PREGNANT!!!!!!
    Synthroid + Prednisone + Metformin + Baby Aspirin + Supplements Galore = 15+ pills a day
    Lupron + Lovenox + Delestrogen + IVIG + B/W = 2-5 pokes a day
    19R, 17M, 17F - transferred two Grade A blasts 11/16, four frosties!!!
    Beta #1 11/24 (13dpo/8dp5dt) = 367 ~ Beta #2 11/26 (15dpo/10dp5dt) = 709
    Beta #3 11/29 (18dpo/13dp5dt) = 1,997 ~ Beta #4 12/1 (20dpo/15dp5dt) = 3,403

imageimageimage

My Blog: Running and Dreaming for Two ~ All are Welcome!
  • Options

I am really sorry you guys are dealing with this.  Hoping DH's numbers improve and you get a plan you are comfortable with going forward. 

((hugs))

**************SIGGY WARNING**************

BLOG

Me 32 :: DH 41

TTC since November, 2011

DH's SA : Excellent

Lap and Hysteroscopy June 2012

DX: PCOS, Stage III Endo, slight Adenomyosis, blocked tube, and probable LPD

Treatments:  6 Months Lupron Depot injections; 1500 mg metformin; 3 cycles of Clomid + TI = BFN

3 endometrial biopsies all were "out of phase" 

September - December, 2013:  Break to lose weight and get healthy

40 lb weight loss but still not ovulating "in phase"  

February - March 2014: bcps + follistim + trigger + TI = BFP

Beta #1 (12dpo): 30; Beta #2 (18dpo): 500; Beta #3 (25dpo): 7,000!!! 

1st u/s 4/16: One beautiful hb at 144 bmp 

2nd u/s 4/29: hb at 166 bmp.  Graduated from RE!!

TEAM PINK! 

Baby girl arrived on Thanksgiving day weighing 7lbs 6oz and measuring 20 inches

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thanks for your response ladies! He has to do another SA in 5 weeks to check again and they want him to see a Urologist but we cant get in there till July. It sucks because he is in the process of getting a new job. They are discussing compensation on June 10th, then he can put his 2 week notice in. It sucks because currently we can do one more covered IUI before his insurance switches. But once it switches, we have no idea as to what is covered (2nd SA, urologist consult, infertility testing & treatment). I feel like were going into this blind. Plus we dont have enough saved to do IVF, but with my cervix randomly closing I don't know how long we can wait to save for IVF. I cant allow it to close because I dont want to risk more endo...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"