April 2013 Moms
Options

Acid Reflux

I took DD to her two month appt today. Dr thinks she has acid reflux and hasn't been gaining weight...she went from the 50. to the 10 in two weeks! We started her on Zantac. But I was wondering for those that have LO on this how long does it take to start working? I feel so bad for her because I can tell she will want to eat but just ends up screaming...hate seeing my baby in pain!

Re: Acid Reflux

• Options
    Our pedi said we should notice a difference within a few days. Our issue is 'silent reflux' I think she called it. He doesn't spit up a lot, but the acid is still burning. We started it Saturday morning. I do feel like he's happier and fussing less. But the little bit of spit up hasn't changed. Not sure how much this helps :)
    photo 606e6a9295ea7ed21bede1d01b391656.jpg Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We just started Zantac two days ago. LO is 5 weeks old. She was not eating and screaming during feedings. She has had three doses so far and while things are better they are not great. I was just thinking about posting to see how soon others saw major improvement. Also did the pharmacy flavor the medicine? Ours did not and she hated the drops and would spit it out. We tried them and they tasted awful so we found out they could flavor the drops for a little extra.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagejeno2005:
    We just started Zantac two days ago. LO is 5 weeks old. She was not eating and screaming during feedings. She has had three doses so far and while things are better they are not great. I was just thinking about posting to see how soon others saw major improvement. Also did the pharmacy flavor the medicine? Ours did not and she hated the drops and would spit it out. We tried them and they tasted awful so we found out they could flavor the drops for a little extra.

I just add it to his bottle, if you're bottle feeding. Doc said it was ok. 

photo 606e6a9295ea7ed21bede1d01b391656.jpg Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    She doesn't seem to mind them, she has become a pro at taking meds, she uses gas drops like crazy!!....I have heard of putting them in the bottle too, my boss did that for her LO because she would spit it out
  • Options
    DD was in zantac for 10 days and it helped some, but tjer was still lots of discomfort and it was really disruoting his sleep. Doc switched him to prevexid and it made a huge difference almost immediately. He still spits up and has silent bouts, but he is so much more comfortalbe.
  • Options
    DD was in zantac for 10 days and it helped some, but there was still lots of discomfort and it was really disrupting his sleep. Doc switched him to prevexid and it made a huge difference almost immediately. He still spits up and has silent bouts, but he is so much more comfortalbe.
  • Options

Our little one was put on Zantac at 4 weeks due to silent reflux. We didn't notice a great improvement until almost 2 weeks out. We had it flavored with grape but it still tastes horrible. LO tries to spit it out so I have to lean her back enough for her head to be below her chest to get her to swallow it. I usually follow up with gas drops because she loves those. After gas drops I nurse her until she calms down. It is such a hassle but worth it for her not to be screaming in pain all the time.

• Options
    Bizzy80Bizzy80 member

image08summerbride:
    DD was in zantac for 10 days and it helped some, but there was still lots of discomfort and it was really disrupting his sleep. Doc switched him to prevexid and it made a huge difference almost immediately. He still spits up and has silent bouts, but he is so much more comfortalbe.

This is us too.  DD started Zantac but it didn't help much so we switched to Prevacid.  She still has her days but she seems so much more comfortable and is sleeping better.

• Options
    Reflux can be horrible. She gets this terrible episodes where she cries for about an hour almost non-stop. I can tell she's hungry but it hurts for her to eat. I feel so bad for her :( She was on Zantac for about 2 weeks. I saw improvement within 3 days, but then she got worse again. I also have her on Nutramigen formula with rice cereal, which seems to be good for her other than the side effect of very watery stool (she has one big blowout a day about the same time every day). I took her back to the doctor and she switched her to Prevacid, which she just started taking yesterday. Hopefully this medication will help.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"