Stay at Home Moms
Options

S/O Food-Do you make things from scratch?

Do you make things from scratch at your house?

I make granola, pie crust, frosting, spaghetti sauce, whipped cream, some types of bread, pizza crust and sauce. I am from the South where we love out casseroles, so I also make "cream of" soups from scratch so I can healthify my casseroles.

Regulars at house I don't make: salsa, biscuits, yogurt, brownies, cakes (I doctor up a box mix), nacho cheese (for DH). I could easily make these things from scratch without much effort but I guess I am still too lazy.

What about you? 

BFP 11/29/11 MC 12/29/11

Re: S/O Food-Do you make things from scratch?

• Options

How to do make cream of soups??
    We are in the north and it is a hotdish here (what they call any casserole), but I love 'em!

• Options

Oh, sure, there's a lot I make from scratch. I don't know what all. Pasta sauce, chicken stock, ice cream, pancakes, that sort of thing. If I bake, it's always from scratch (but I don't bake that often). Oh, and suet for our bird feeder.

There's a lot I don't make from scratch, though. Like, I don't bake my own bread, ever, I buy jarred salsa, and it's never even occurred to me to make yogurt. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have tried many things from scratch.  The one I make most now is my own bread.  I will often make my own pizza dough.  I can make my own pasta, "cream soups" salad dressings, cakes.  I really need to get back on the scratch band wagon.  It's hard to spend more time in the kitchen right now with the age of my girls and my energy level.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love cooking from scratch! I mean I know my limits and will occasionally "cheat" but over all I prefer just making it myself!  

All my baking is from scratch including pie crust, cakes, cookies, frosting, and all of that. 

I don't make all of our sandwich bread but I love baking artisan breads from scratch. I make biscuits from scratch a few times a month, yum! 

I make our hummus as well. Sometimes I make salsa if I get a good deal on tomatoes, especially seconds at the farmer market...if not I buy it. DH sometimes makes our yogurt and cheese from scratch if he has the time. 

We USUALLY make pizza crust from scratch, occasionally I'll buy it if we know we need to make it quick but probably 95% of the time its made from scratch. 

I'll occasionally buy a jar of maranara sauce for a quick pizza or to throw ontop of something but other then that our sauces are homeade.  

I NEVER buy whipped cream, I make it. Also I would never buy those packets that make things like mashed potatoes, they are so easy to make and so much better homemade. Same with spice mixes, why buy it when I can make my own. I make our own mac and cheese, my mom bought us a few boxs for some reason and they have been in our pantry for 6 months! 

I'll admit to loving TJ's frozen rice though ;) I have no idea whey but I suck at making rice! I'm not a fan of boxed food but the rice is my exception that I just really love for some reason. I feel naughty buying it since we are not big on processed food ;) I always wish I made our own ravoli and pasta but I have never tried. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

• Options

Yesssss, they taste so much better.

We make our own whole wheat bread (ok, H does this), mashed potatoes, pasta sauce/meatballs, granola, brownies, all soups, etc etc.  I don't get many packaged things or stuff in a box.  But sometimes I shoot for non-scratch (like- I don't make my own ravioli)..  I'd say 75% scratch.

E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • Options
    I make most of our baked goods from scratch except for bread. I like making whipped cream but that's maybe twice a year. Other things I make from scratch...salsa, different pasta sauces, refried beans, chicken broth.

I would like to learn how to make a good pizza dough.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageArnegard:

We are in the north and it is a hotdish here (what they call any casserole), but I love 'em!

My recipe is based off these. We aren't fans of mushrooms so I don't do that one.

https://tammysrecipes.com/homemade_condensed_cream_of_celery_soup

https://tammysrecipes.com/homemade_cream_chicken_soup

BFP 11/29/11 MC 12/29/11
  • Options
    imageArnegard:

There are recipes all over the internet. Once a Month Mom has them, I know for sure. 

• Options

Baked goods, spaghetti and pizza sauce, whipped cream, some sauces, pancakes, biscuits, rolls, and dumplings are made from scratch.

I buy salsa, a lot of sauces, and seasoning mixes (like taco seasoning, poultry seasoning). No cream of soups in our house, yuck. I don't make my own, though, I just don't cook with it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Everything I bake is from scratch.  Also I do pizza dough, salsa, soups, stocks and broths, any casseroles or like, one-dish dinners.

Things I buy are pasta sauce and pesto, ravioli, tortellini, salsa in the winter, and other stuff that I can't think of right now...

Funny story - DH could care less if stuff is homemade or store-bought, a lot of time he thinks I take too much time to make stuff like cookies or mashed potatoes when we could just buy it.  The other day we were talking about syrup and I mentioned that I had looked up how to tap your own maple tree and make your own syrup, but it seemed like a lot of work and not something I felt like doing.  For some reason he got super excited about that and did research all evening on how to do this.  He even scouted out maples in our woods that would be good for this.  Who knows if he'll actually do it or not but I just found it hilarious.  

• Options
    imagealiebno:
    Funny story DH could care less if stuff is homemade or storebought, a lot of time he thinks I take too much time to make stuff like cookies or mashed potatoes when we could just buy it. nbsp;The other day we were talking about syrup and I mentioned that I had looked up how to tap your own maple tree and make your own syrup, but it seemed like a lot of work and not something I felt like doing. nbsp;For some reason he got super excited about that and did research all evening on how to do this. nbsp;He even scouted out maples in our woods that would be good for this. nbsp;Who knows if he'll actually do it or not but I just found it hilarious. nbsp;

Lol. That sounds like my DH and something he would do.
  • Options
    Nel11Nel11 member

I'm a huge "real food" advocate, so I try to make most everything from scratch that would otherwise have a lot of preservatives, etc in it, although I'm still working on it.  I do all our bread, tortillas, any baked good (we don't eat a lot of that kind of stuff though), sauce, chicken stock... 

I am guilty of buying canned marinara sauce when I'm out of my homemade stuff though.  I also buy things like salsa that we don't eat much of.  

• Options
    I am laughing that people consider things like whipped cream and mashed potatoes "from scratch." I don't know why, exactly, it's just never occurred to me that someone would willingly buy potato flakes or whipped cream in a can unless they were totally desperate.
  • Options

imageMrs.Hizzo:
    I am laughing that people consider things like whipped cream and mashed potatoes "from scratch." I don't know why, exactly, it's just never occurred to me that someone would willingly buy potato flakes or whipped cream in a can unless they were totally desperate.

The potatoes I agree with, even though I do know a fair share that buy instant--gross.

But 80% of everyone I know uses canned whipped cream. My DH thought he didn't like it until I made "real" whipped cream for him.

I don't know, maybe it's regional? haha.

BFP 11/29/11 MC 12/29/11
  • Options

imageMrs.Hizzo:

Yeah, mashed potatoes were never a thing I considered made from scratch, they're just made. I do buy cool whip, I love it so. LOL 

• Options
    imageKateMW:

imageMrs.Hizzo:

Yeah, mashed potatoes were never a thing I considered made from scratch, they're just made. I do buy cool whip, I love it so. LOL 

I doubt it's regional, I guess it's just me. My mom is no gourmet cook, but she'd never have bought canned whipped cream in a million years. It was my job as a kid to whip it on Thanksgiving, with a rotary egg beater. And honestly, that's about the only time we have whipped cream at all. I guess to me it's just something that takes so little effort, saying it's "from scratch" is almost kind of weird? Same with the mashed potatoes. It's like saying "I grilled a chicken breast from scratch!" To me it's like, OK...how else would you do it?

I actually feel the same way about pie crust, but I recognize that it takes more effort and can better understand why people would be inclined to just pick up a pre-made one at the store. 

ETA - Oops, meant to quote Kayla

• Options
    I make most sauces, cakes, cookies, pie crust, pizza dough, etc. I don't make bread, salsa, whipped cream, pasta noodles.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Tally06Tally06 member

Fresh Market & Whole Foods do an amazing job of seasoning and preparing our meat & seafood! :)  

DS and I are out and about for most of the day and I do chores around the house during nap time. By the time dinner rolls around I am way too exhausted to make things from scratch. Everything is fresh, organic and healthy. Good enough, IMO. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageMrs.Hizzo:

Honestly I didn't realize making whipped cream was so simple until a couple years ago. I mean its WHIPPED Cream. It has the ingredients and the instructions in the title. My early FFFC.

That being said, I still buy the can for hot chocolate and ice cream occasionally.
  • Options
    2-Step2-Step member

I'm about 50/50. I always bake sweets from scratch, but that is because it is a family tradition and I used to be a baker so buying baked goods is against my family's religion :) 

I bake most of our bread, pizza dough and make granola bars occasionally, I make most dinners from scratch, but I buy spaghetti sauce, yogurt, salsa, jam, peanut butter and condiments.  

• Options

Not all things. Baked sweets usually 100% from scratch. I occasionally try the breads, biscuits, and pizza crust but haven't had luck. I hate boxed mac and cheese so I make that and salad dressings. 

I buy instant packaged oatmeals, salsas, pasta sauces (although I have made them from scratch well I just thought it was time consuming and didn't save much).  If we are having soup for dinner I make it homemade but I do make casseroles with canned soups. 

Our new favorite thing is homemade freezer burritos. I just got done making 24 for the next couple of weeks. Breakfast, bean and cheese, chicken guacamole. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageMrs.Hizzo:

I know quite a few people who do mashed potatoes from a pouch.

E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • Options
    imageChapter79:

imageMrs.Hizzo:

I know quite a few people who do mashed potatoes from a pouch.

I honestly can't tell if this is a joke at the expense of our pouch debate, or if they actually now make mashed potatoes in a pouch. 

• Options

imageMrs.Hizzo:

Almost everyone I know uses whipped cream from a can or Cool Whip. I always make it from scratch and people are really impressed. Which is ridiculous considering it's one of the easiest things in the world to make, takes no effort, and tastes/looks better.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I make our pizza crusts, bread, and pretty much all baking from scratch. I make (and can) all tomato products (pasta sauce, salsa, etc), jams, soups, etc. I have tried yogurt, but that was an absolute failure. We do our own icecream during the Summer. 

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • Options

A good 80% of what we eat is made by me. I don't purchase ready-made meals or TV dinners (though some bring back wonderful childhood memories!) and I cook 6 nights a week most weeks. I also bake from scratch MOST all baked goods like brownies, pizza dough, cornbread, biscuits, pies, waffles, zucchini bread, etc.

Things I make from scratch that most people in my friends-circle would buy:

Shredded rotisserie-style chicken for enchiladas, taquitos, tortilla soup, salads

ALL stocks

ALL sauces (Alfredo, marinara, Marsala, gravies, enchilada, pesto, orange, etc.)

ALL soups (potato, tortilla, chowders, tomato)

Things I'd much rather buy that make myself: buns/breads/English muffins/tortillas, ice cream, hashbrowns (cannot master this one!), jarred preserves/jams, Trader Joe's corndogs, Luna bars, ravioli, dried pastas.

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• Options
    imageKaylaL08:

imageMrs.Hizzo:

The potatoes I agree with, even though I do know a fair share that buy instant--gross.

But 80% of everyone I know uses canned whipped cream. My DH thought he didn't like it until I made "real" whipped cream for him.

I don't know, maybe it's regional? haha.

ICK, I grew up on those potato lakes and HATES mashed potatoes because of it. Then I met DH and his mom made potatoes, I tried to be polite. I LOVED THEM!!! Yea, real mashed potatoes are so good and so easy, why did my mom buy the packaged I will never know. 

Almost everyone I know buys store bought. A friend went on and on how cool it was that I made my own. HAHA I thought she was nuts. I just turn on my stand mixer and promptly walk away ;)So easy. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

• Options
    imagebridein08:
    I make our pizza crusts, bread, and pretty much all baking from scratch. I make (and can) all tomato products (pasta sauce, salsa, etc), jams, soups, etc. I have tried yogurt, but that was an absolute failure. We do our own icecream during the Summer. 

We do ice cream often. Its fun!!! And yummy! 

• Options
    I make everything I can from scratch. Bread, bagels, tortillas, all baked goods, seasonings.
    *Bumping since 2007*
    had to change my sn :) TTC # 1 since Jan 06
    Miracle Baby #1 - March 2012
    Miracle Baby #2 - June 2013
  • Options
    hjk5000hjk5000 member

I make most things from scratch. I'm a horrible baker though so when I do bake it's only semi home made. Pie crusts are my nemesis.

PCOS Dx 12.08 / BFP! 4.22.10 DS1 born 1.4.11 DS2 born 6.19.13
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I guess I don't make a lot from scratch, but one thing I do make is oatmeal.  I eat it sometimes but it's mainly for DS.  I make it about once every two months and freeze it and then he eats it for breakfast 1-2 times a week. I use steel-cut oats.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Options
    I used to make more staples from scratch, but I haven't in awhile. We used to be hardcore about it, DH made bread weekly, etc. etc. Then we had kids and he graduated from grad school, ha ha ha. Homemade granola and homemade soaked and roasted nuts are a lot better than the grocery store versions!

I do make a few quarts of yogurt a week, though.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    imageLalaMama81:

Cool whip is not whipped cream.

I know...its way better. I make whip cream when I use it for recipes, but if dd wants it on ice cream at a sleepover, can it is!

• Options

Yes.  I only buy a few processed things.  Tortillas, yogurt, cheese, pasta, I keep a few boxes of Annie's Mac and Cheese on hand for DS.  Graham crackers for the occasional treat.  That's all I can think of off the top of my head.  

ETA: I buy PB and jelly. 

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"